SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with 28-32'''' Bay Cruiser

My wife and I are currently Mac26X owners that have quickly realized the numerous shortcomings of this boat. I have read many many pages from sailnet''s message board, and have gained valuable insight from reading Jeff''s and Mike''s opinions on boat types and makes in the 28 to 32'' range.

We are looking for a stable, well built boat that will be used to cruise the Chesapeake. My wife thinks that heavier is better, but in doing some research, I think that may not be the case. So far, we have been looking at the following - S2 9.2A, Sea Sprite 28, Com-Pac 27/2, Sabre 28 and possibly an Eastward Ho 31 (quite rare, as I have found little info on them... 11K #, full keel, Eldredge-Innes designed). I also am considering a Pearson or Ericson, and possibly a Cape Dory 28. What are your thoughts on the ones I have listed, and what other suggestions would you make?

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,088 Posts

As I look over that list, I would only suggest that the Sabre 28, some model Pearsons and some model Ericsons would make a good boat for the Chesapeake. The others really lack the kind of light air and heavier air performance that the Chesapeake really rewards.
Jeff

·
Registered
987 Posts

There has to be a lot more boats for sale there than those. Pick out the boat yourself using PHRF ratings and sail area/displacement ratio''s. Never mind the wife''s idea of "heavy" boats. I can see where that is going.

The Sabre 28 would be just fine if there was some law limiting boats to 28'' but there is not. You can find a Pearson 30, C&C 30 or Tartan 30 for $10K and up and then have a boat you can keep for a while. Small boats are better than no boat I guess but the boats I mention really don''t cost much now.

Never forget that if you buy a boat with adquate sail area you can always reduce sail area in stronger winds but boats like the Cape Dory''s just don''t move in light air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts