SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Sailor
935 Posts
Reaction score
Pictures would help us diagnose. Uncertain what you mean by faucet. Is it a thru-hull with valve? Do you have pressurized water aboard? Cockpit shower? Like I said; pictures would help.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Sailor
935 Posts
Reaction score
I am assuming that the photo named "rust" shows the underside of the fitting in the photo titled "drain". That fitting is on the cockpit sole (floor), correct? If so, those fittings are household plumbing fittings. That rusty elbow should be removed along with the drain fitting and replaced with proper fittings and bedded properly. If not, there will be a problem with moisture soaking up in the plywood core with rot and delamination occurring. The valve is a gate valve and should be replaced. Where does the other end go? I assume it exits the boat. Does it do so above or below the waterline. If below, it is important that that pipe, valve, and scupper (drain) fitting be replaced with proper reinforced hose, ball valve, and drain fitting with everything double clamped. It should be done that way if the thruhull is above the waterline but not critically important. For obvious reasons, the boat should be on land when doing the repairs.

Not a hard project, depending upon access of course.

Let us know if you have questions and tell us how you make out.

Tod

· Sailor
935 Posts
Reaction score
The most important things are the thru-hulls. They keep the water out! All through hulls should be either bronze or maleron which is a black plastic material that is very strong. There should be ball valves on each through hull. Ball valves are identified by a lever that operates them, not a round knob. All hoses attached should be checked for condition and should be double clamped on all fittings (at through hull and inboard fittings). You should be able to close the valve on the through hull with relative ease.

If you have a swing keel the cable should be checked.

Most everything else can be addressed with the boat in the water. With no pressurized water, you have a nice simplified system to work on. I assume portapotty as your toilet? Do you have inboard diesel or outboard? If inboard, insure that those through hulls are properly clamped as well. Good luck and have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.