SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got these used winches from a friend for cheap. Looking online for maintenance instructions didn't match how these winches are put together. And, although they appear to be the same winch, they differ considerably when viewed from the bottom. Can anyone tell me how to take these apart to ensure that they are properly lubed?

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have full Barient maintenance and service information sheets for models built after 1983. PM me if you want scanned copies sent. Based on the service sheet for Barient 10 and 10P it is a stainless steel retaining ring holding top cap in place. You should be able to get under it with a small flat screwdriver.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
The retaining ring is a spiroloc - like a flat key ring. You have to hook the end of it with a very small bladed screwdriver and unwind it from the shaft - then the drum just lifts off.

Some Barients have the shaft retained to the base with a second spiroloc on the bottom of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have full Barient maintenance and service information sheets for models built after 1983. PM me if you want scanned copies sent. Based on the service sheet for Barient 10 and 10P it is a stainless steel retaining ring holding top cap in place. You should be able to get under it with a small flat screwdriver.
I don't know how old these are and, apparently, there are "new" models? I downloaded that maintenance sheet but it didn't match these...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The guts should be pretty much the same, and service procedures for a single speed winch are pretty much the same across the board once you get them apart. Either the clip around the shaft or a bolt down the middle. Yours appear to have the clip that's why I referenced the lewmar 8's.
Anyways, pull them apart, use some solvent to clean them up, pack the bearings with grease (there is a whole other discussion on that.) and some light machine oil on the pawls. Should take no more than 40 min per winch.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I opened them up. My thanks to jsaronson for the proper schematic. The first one had evidence of being properly lubed and maintained. There was still some silicone remnants and all I had to do was clean it up, emory a few areas, and apply new lube (Pic #1). The second one was a different story. It looks like it had been entirely lubed with old motor oil. The bearings weren't even turning and were completely gunked up. I ended up using carburetor cleaner to remove it all. Once both were cleaned, I used a quality silicone and oil that I use on my rifles. Interestingly, if you've ever installed a lower parts spring kit in an AR-15 lower, the process is amazingly similar as far as the little pieces and springs are concerned. I got them back together and winch #1 feels like it's brand new. Winch #2 feels like it has some years on it, but much better than from where it started. Thanks for the advice. I learned another aspect of boat maintenance, which will serve me well...

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
The shaft on winch #2 would benefit from some lapping with 1000 grit and kerosene or WD40 - it will polish up nicely and provide a better race for the bearings.

You can also use white lithium grease on your pawls - it is creamy and low viscosity so it won't cause any stiction but it clings better than oil. I use it for everything on my winches with never a problem in 40 years.

Reactions: ericb760

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The shaft on winch #2 would benefit from some lapping with 1000 grit and kerosene or WD40 - it will polish up nicely and provide a better race for the bearings.

You can also use white lithium grease on your pawls - it is creamy and low viscosity so it won't cause any stiction but it clings better than oil. I use it for everything on my winches with never a problem in 40 years.
I used 320 grit for a very light sand because the shaft was so caked with grease and then finished with some emory cloth. I'm using white lithium grease that I have on hand for firearm maintenance, and some high grade lubricating oil on the pawls. Now that I've done it the first time, I'll make sure to make this project a semi-annual habit. It was a lot easier than I assumed it would be.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Annually is lots and, as you have discovered, is a lot more than most winches get. :D

Try the lithium grease on the pawls and smear it on the ratchet teeth as well - it quiets them right down and will still be there next year - oil will be gone.

I've never had a spring or pawl break since I started lubing them with it all those years ago.

I lube everything heavily with the lithium, assemble the winch and rotate it with the handle and backwind it a bunch of times. I then pull the drum off and wipe off all the squeeze out and reassemble - works like a charm and gives everything the exact amount of grease it wants.

Reactions: ericb760
1 - 15 of 15 Posts