SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find out who the maker is of this boat, that I was told was an O' Day.
I'm pretty new to this, so....
Pictured is the original sail, as well as a shot of the foredeck.
She's 14 feet in length, and 5.5 feet in beam
Thoughts?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,954 Posts
Take pictures of the hull. The insignia does not ring any bells.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Not a Gannet, the Gannet is a I14 hull with a deck added. there was a boat manufacturer Astron they made the Scat and may have made other models. the Scat was a fugally 10' little catamaran/sailboard hull made in the 70;s. A friend had one and all I remember about the boat is it fit in my pickup, held a bottle of wine, me and 4 girls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, does anybody know what this hole is for?
It’s aft of the mast mount, and it seems to drain out to a hole by the Stern.. not the drain hole, it’s forward of the drain hole..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The mystery of this boat continues...
I just removed the transom motor mount to look for anything... nothing but smooth paint.
I did just snap a bunch of pics, of the undersides of the bow, gunwales, and stern areas, if anyone is interested.
The Styrofoam is troubling me:
1) When did Styrofoam come into usage aboard sailboats?
2) What maker would ever leave it exposed as shown?

My first sailboat! – The Goose Report

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, well I just eliminated these guys as a possibility:
VIKING YACHT COMPANY
VALHALLA BOATWORKS

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that was a great lead.. here's hoping!

Hi Rich,

I'm stumped.

C&C (standing for Cuthbertson & Cassian), an Ontario, Canada boat builder designed and built a Viking 28' in 1968 and a Viking 33' in 1971 and then a redesign in 1973 (then calling it a Viking 34'). I only know this because one of their designers is my technical editor, Rob Mazza, and we've reviewed and published this boat in Good Old Boat Magazine, issue #116 Sep/Oct 2017. But a quick search on Wikipedia will also give you this basic information. And you are correct, they did not design the one you are inquiring about. In fact, the insignia for the Viking 28 & 33/34 is a large V, certainly not that distinguishable viking head in the picture you provided.

The only other sailboat designer that I could think of that is viking-like is the Ericson which uses a viking helmet as their insignia. They started building sailboats in 1969, starting with a Bruce King design of the Ericson 23' sailboat.

I tried a few searches online to try to locate your particular boat, but came up with no result. I also shared your email with Bob Muggleston, my editor. He was intrigued by the insignia but admitted he'd never seen it, and he too reported that a quick online search resulted in zero results.

If you don't mind, I'd like to put this on our Facebook page and see if our readers/audience can help identify her.

Cheers,

Karla Sandness, CEO, CFO, Publisher

Good Old Boat Magazine

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Howdy fellas.. just a check in, to say I never did hear anything yet on what kind of boat she is...
Maybe the one design theory is THE theory...
At any rate, I (mostly) completed some glass work on the deck, and hope to sail her soon!

Cheers,
Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts