SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Roller furling headsail? or hank-on all around?

If the latter I'd definitely just go with a smaller sail on the forestay and avoid the complications/loads involved with an extra inner stay.

Besides adequate strength of the bale to the mast, the block attachment, and the strength of the tensioner, is the strength of the deck itself where you plan to attach it - unlikely such a load was anticipated by those who built the deck.

If you're primarily daysailing or short cruising and prepared to wait for weather I wouldn't do this (more complicated than it might seem) modification.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
In the meantime I've changed my rigging to allow for easy sail changes on the furler. I moved the jib halyard from the cockpit back to the mast (and will be adding a second jib halyard next time my mast is down). A prefeeder has been added to the furler. Having the halyard at the mast makes it easier for me to change the sail solo (because I can lead the halyard forward). My furler (like most furlers) has two tracks, so it will be possible to do sail changes underway without dropping a sail first once I add the second jib halyard.

I have 3 headsails: 60% storm jib, 100% working jib, and 135% genoa.

With this work complete a solent stay seems less important.
Doing a running change will only be possible if you are using the furler as a foil with the swivel left at the bottom.. if the first sail is hoisted on the swivel, the second won't allow the first to drop. (but you knew that, right?)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.