SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
The 2.5 is probably enough power for what you're going to use it for... but rarely do 2.5 hp engines have a 'neutral' position.. ie they start in gear(one way they minimize the weight). Generally you have to go to 3.5 or 4 to get that function. Our 3.5 Nissan has a neutral but no reverse so you still need to spin the engine around to reverse.. not a problem in our small tender.

Overall, if you want gearshift or at least a neutral, that likely puts the 2.5 out of the equation. If youngsters are involved I like the neutral feature..

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Honda BF2A (2.0hp) pushes my 1000lb daysailor very well. At low rpms the prop stops spinning as if in neutral. It weighs in at 28lbs.

·
19,489 Posts
My Honda BF2A (2.0hp) pushes my 1000lb daysailor very well. At low rpms the prop stops spinning as if in neutral. It weighs in at 28lbs.
Cool.. must use some kind of slip clutch??

The Lehr 2.5 hp propane fueled engine has a neutral. I hate engines you have to start in gear.
Good to know, thanks. Maybe the manufacturers are changing their ways!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
all the new 2.5 hp engines have neutral and forward, no reverse except the honda it has a centrifugal clutch, no reverse
Suzuki is the lightest with a gear box also the cheapest
Honda 29.5 #
Suzuki 30.1 #
mercury 37#
Yamaha and nissan 39#

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I think that Honda is the air cooled version. Before you buy one be sure you have a sea trial, there is NO WAY I could live with the noise.

A lot of small modern outboards are made by Tohatsu and sold under different brands eg Nissan.

Out in the cruising world the Suzuki 2hp 2 stroke is much sought after. They just keep ticking.

The Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 st at 41 lbs is a good buy. Quiet and reliable. N.B. the 2.5 is the same engine just restricted and weighs the same 41 lbs.

·
Sailor
928 Posts
Your boat should have a plate on it telling you the max horsepower it is rated to carry. It's a good idea to follow that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think a 41 kg outboard is too heavy for a 3.8m sailboat. I have a O'Day Daysailer (5.10 m/260 kg empty) and my 3.5 hp Nissan two stroker pushes it very well. Motor weighs 12.5 kg.

·
19,489 Posts
I think a 41 kg outboard is too heavy for a 3.8m sailboat. I have a O'Day Daysailer (5.10 m/260 kg empty) and my 3.5 hp Nissan two stroker pushes it very well. Motor weighs 12.5 kg.
FWIW we have the same 3.5 Nissan 2 stroke on our tender.. amazingly reliable little engine, has never failed to start in 9 years despite limited use.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard on my O'Day Mariner (649 kg). It has a neutral gear but no reverse. For reverse, spin the motor 180 degrees. The motor is very light, easy to lift on and off the mount; I store it in the cuddy. It has been very reliable, and starts easily; never needed more than two pulls.

There is plenty of power for my needs. On a calm day, about half-throttle gets the boat going as fast as it will go. Any more gas and I can sense the motor rpm increase, but the velocity thru the water does not appreciably change. I haven't had that boat/motor out in dicey conditions, so I can't say for sure, but I think the motor has enough power to get me back in safely from any conditions in which I would be be sailing a Mariner.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
those nissans and newer tohatsus are hard to beat...

I had a 1 or 1.5hp hp blender aircooled outboard on my dinghy I forget what the brand was...worked fine...yeah aircooled and loud but never failed...forget the name of it...man

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I also had the Suzuki 2.5 hp 4 stroke until recently. It was a good engine, especially considering it's the cheapest in its class. Also one of the lightest.

Like all small 4 strokes, it is sensitive to good practice re keeping the carb clean.

By good practice I mean :

Use only fresh gas, less than a month old
Put stabil in the gas
and most important : Always run the carb dry

This is more important than choosing a particular brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for your helpful comments. Good to be reminded of the benefit of starting in neutral!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Cruise 'N Carry?
I think so man...I remember it having a light blue lid it weigjed like 15 pounds practically I could carry it under my armpit and take it with me...

for a budget cruiser you dont need anything bigger for a dinghy...did absolutely fine with 300lbs of men on a very old zodiac dinghy that was donated to us for my trip...

you could also start it outside the water...and maintenance was easy...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts