SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help with South Coast 22

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
I'd like to start a forum thread to look for help on fixing up this boat I picked up today. Its a '72 South Coast 22. I would like to think the boat is in decent condition. They were asking for $1,400 on this, but traded my kayak for an even swap. I don't really know much about sailboats, which is why I've come here for help. I'd like to do as much as I can by myself without hiring someone to do the work.

So with all that being said, did I come to a good place to ask for help, suggestions, and instruction on what to do? I plan to take pictures of everything tomorrow and get them up on here.

Here is a pic for starters.
Vehicle Boat Water transportation Boat trailer Sailboat

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
I'll definitely look into the photo issue. One thing I could mention is about the cracks int he top side. Ive done a little research, but am left baffled about it. I'm not sure if I should use some sort of resin/epoxy, or just paint? The cracks are not all the way through, but rather superficial. I plan to paint the whole top side, and possibly the bottom side if I can get stands. Otherwise I will hire it out for the haul.

BTW, sorry for any incorrect terminology. I really dont know what anything is called yet. Im studying, though! :)

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I think the only sail I have is the main sail. Its all wrapped up around the boom. I haven't even opened it up yet. Since it looks nasty, I was just going to replace it. Im not even to the point of learning how to sail it yet. More so on learning how to fix this and getting it back to a functional boat. The interior needs most of the work. Lines need to be replaced, some pullies (blocks?), tie-downs, the covering to the (comanionway?) I want to replace with wood. I need to rip out the wiring and all electrical components. I'm looking forward to this! Just chasing a dream. I want to learn how to sail, even though I fear deep water. I got this by trading my kayak for it. Even swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.