SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Sailhagg,
Quite inspiring story, well related.

It has been noted often that this forum is basically dead, and no one wants it that way. All attempts to keep it going have petered out due to lack of female interest. Would that your polemic might inspire others to join in. It really is quite a blank canvas with a lot of potential, but it's going to take women, not men, to make a go of it.

In my opinion, you are probably going to have to symbolically throw the men out. Otherwise the forum will be just like the others with only a female name over it. The emphasis has to be on the female perspective. How you'd go about getting the boy's to just shut up and listen is beyond me. Limiting the topics might help, most seamanship, gear, and maintenance questions are gender neutral. And our current crop of female hardy's is quite comfortable giving us guy's a sharp elbo in the ribs when needed-they play on a level field with us in the other forums.

Aside from whatever feelings you may have about your appearance, we are enthusiastic supporters of women sailing; after all, they were'nt talking about some guy when they referred to a face that launched a thousand ships. And we're big on any good excuses for launching ships. I think you'll find that there is an almost undetectable presence of men who dislike women on board; you'll find countless threads devoted to just the opposite goal-involving wives, girlfriends, and children more. We look forward to more of your enthusiasm and well told stories.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Sailway.. I hear you.. and I am trying to maybe bring it back if I can. I hope to keep some of the locker talk out of here. Why I ask the moderators to put some controls in here.

Sailhag. .. Welcome. great story. I can relate. Last year I sailed alone a lot and it took the guys a few months to figure I was for real ( can handle the boat) and them not coming to my rescue. Chivalry may still exist out there. Now, when I do sail alone or with other women , I think most of the guys that see me(us) are saying to themselves, "Way to go", "Wish my wife would do that" or maybe other thoughts of the romantic nature. I don't consider myself a looker or the age of models either but as sailors go, their standards are well,, you'll figure it out. Just look at all the pictures they post on the other threads.. LOL.

We women can sail if they have the want, desire and motivation. I have a saying that I call the three AAA's: Attitude, Aptitude, Ambition. A pearl of wisdom that most succussful people have.
Melissa

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
When we first started sailing, we'd turn heads simply because the girl was at the helm and the guy was on the bow. (This was in ******* country - I can't even imagine the response if I was single handing) The harbormaster liked us because we didn't yell at each other - thank goodness for hand signals - and always gave us an 'easy' slip ... until he figured out that we didn't need the special treatment.

To go with the 3 'A's do we need an acronym? GULLS - for Gutsy Unstoppable Lady Sailors?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Sailhagg - welcome! good story. Could you post a link to the blog?

·
Galley Goddess
91 Posts
I've posted to other forums here before and I've looked at this one but as sailaway points out few women join in. I think it's almost the same as taking the helm. Look at it this way ladies (those who are reading and not writing) no one will yell at you, tell you you're doing it wrong, your stupid, etc. So even if all you do is type in 'hi'...it's a start.

As far as my appearance Sailaway (see this is why guys don't need to be here) I hold my own against my own age group...but no one looks good in fouiles!

Aside from my own 'dock ape idiot' who supports my handling the boat...because he really doesn't want to take the helm.... I find all the men I've met, save one jerk, support me at the helm. Although my DAI likes to yell. I think many women don't take the helm because they don't want to be yelled at.

I've made some boo-boo's and I've left marks on the topside :( but I simple refuse to allow myself to be so embarrased that I stop learning. Besides, I know this is how men learn to do things. At least my DAI does. If he did it and it went wrong...it's my fault, if I did it and it went wrong...it's my fault. Thus, I've taken a page from the mens book on 'how to communicate'...I yell back at him. He's learning not to yell at me ;)

Eryka, I love GULLS...we just have to convince the rest of the ladies out there that it's the truth. So, come on ladies, grab a cup of coffee...or glass of wine and lets talk!

Eryka, my blog's PacificNorthwestBoating.com I only started it a few months ago, my thoughts were that maybe others could learn from my boo-boo's...

Melrna, I think you're right that others are wishing their wives/girlfriends would take a clue from those of us who take the helm. Maybe the guys need to look at the gear and adjust for smaller muscles? I'd love to hear about some of your time at the helm.

Thanks for the welcome all! Fair Winds!

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
This is a thread that is primarily BY and FOR the female members of Sailnet where they can post and share questions and concerns with others in an adult and rational way. It is not:
1. A place for the men of sailnet to post "want ads"
2. A place where conversation, language and content will be permitted to degenerate into "locker room" standards that may be acceptable in the off topic forum.

Moderators will manage this sub-forum more aggressively and delete posts and threads that do not meet this higher standard as we try to carve out a more female friendly place within Sailnet.
We encourage our female members to find a home here and to report any posts you find objectionable using the "report post" icon in the top right corner of each message.
Thanks in advance to all for your cooperation.
Now I say this is beautiful!! And Thank God that Chivalry is not dead. :cool:

I for one greatly appreciate this sentiment and thought process regarding making this a user friendly internet port for the women's club "Really lucky women" Who enjoy sailing and do not just put up with it for their husbands or significant other's sake.

~~**~*~~Thanks Cam and all other moderators who watch this for us ladies:D

Reactions: LesleyS

·
Banned
2,734 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Singlehand Too

This is my first post here. I too singlehand. I purchased a Westerly last year, lived aboard it in Md., and when spring arrived I sailed it alone down the Chesapeake to Va. My first thought was to have it delivered to Va., but I knew I just had to sail it myself. Yes, my little ship and I bonded.

The sail down was the greatest experience out their alone. While sailing to VA., I anchored out once and docked at two marinas along the way. Stopped at a little village - Reedville - strolled the main street - found a nice little ice cream shop, and just enjoyed the quiet little creek. Next morning the fishing boats were out early, as I was, and I had a wonderful sail down the Bay. Fellow sailors were extremely nice and helpful, and yes I did get some "I can't believe you're doing this by yourself" when it was realized a woman was sailing alone; and I am not a spring chicken - 58 yrs. young.

My Westerly is presently on the hard, bottom painting, etc., as I am trying to learn everything I can about maintenance, with the help of my brother.

I plan on taking the ICW route in another year. I can't imagine doing anything else, but being out there.

Carilee

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Good for you Carilee. The only limitations we face are those we put on ourselves. Fair winds.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Well done, Captain. And welcome to sailnet. I think you'll like it here. There are a lot of single-handers and most of try to do as much of our own maintenance as possible.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Welcome Aboard Carilee. Lots of good ICW stuff here under the search button and lots of ICW mavens to answer any specific Q's you have along the way. I kept my boat in Deltaville for many years and Reedville and the Crab Shack were a regular stop. Yummy!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Welcome aboard Carilee. :) Just curious, which Westerly do you have??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi there,
I used to frequent this forum more in the past -- then mommyhood took over for a while. Right now my little boatbaby is out on the dock making a "marine lab" with his two favorite toys, a net and a bucket.

We have been aboard for 11 years, with cruising somewhere in the middle before the kid and with the dog. Now we're saving up and getting this bigger boat ready to go again in about 2 years.

In the mean time, it's local sailing and enjoying the liveaboard community to its fullest! And loving raising my baby boy on a boat.
Cheers
Cindy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all from a new member
I came across this site,when I did a search for liveaboard marinas in Melborne,Fl.
When I clicked on this site/forums, I saw that the posts were from 2007 !
That was After I had done about 2 hours reading of posts.I did find some info from those posts, but I realise they are so out of date, I need my question answered in June 2010 time.
Does anyone know a good liveaboard marina in the Melbourne,Fl (50 miles either side) for a 38ft Morgan. No offense gents, but I really need the womens point of view , as we tend to have somewhat diffrent priorities than the guys.
Happy and safe sailing to all

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,345 Posts
WeeScotty, it would be more appropriate to ask your question by starting a new thread, and being new here take a shot at posting something in the "Introduce Yourself" forum ;)

Welcome aboard

21 - 40 of 67 Posts