SailNet Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
19,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Good news, under the circumstances.. well done.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Glenn is 20 miles out of Fremantle as I type this. A few hours at most now.

As far as the rigging, Glenn apparently did not renew the shrouds and stays before he left, although I understand he was advised to by Brent.
Glad to hear he's safely in Freo, he'll get a warm welcome in that sailor's haven, for sure...

Given the extent of the refit he did, however, and the extreme difficulty of the voyage he was attempting, that decision not to go with new standing rigging is a bit of a head-scratcher, for sure...

Hope he just kicks back, and takes the time to explore Western Oz for awhile, it's a wondrous part of the world...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Glad to hear he is safely back from such an adventure.
Any idea why his shrouds failed? Too much load at some point? Material defect?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
They failed because of age probably. They were not replaced before he left.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Glenn's boat is for sale in Western Australia. Good boat for anyone who wishes to sail offshore. The rigging has been replaced.

Used S And S 42 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Damn, that's sad news... To me, sadder even than being forced to abandon his voyage, actually...

All that work, into a boat so LOVINGLY restored and prepped for that voyage, just seems so much all for naught... Hell, even Stanley Paris always had plans for what to do with KIWI SPIRIT after his attempted circumnavigation...

WESTWIND is such a beautiful boat, now located in one of the most beautiful places on earth, with an opportunity to explore a region most sailors will never get to see... He'd obviously budgeted the time to allow for a bit more sailing, such a single-minded use of such a beautiful boat is just something I'll never understand... Even sailing her back home on her own bottom would be the trip of a lifetime, and a return via the North Pacific a very suitable voyage for a guy who obviously relishes a challenge...

But then, the desire to sail uphill around the world, non-stop, is something I'll never be able to relate to, anyway... :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Given the extent of the refit he did, however, and the extreme difficulty of the voyage he was attempting, that decision not to go with new standing rigging is a bit of a head-scratcher, for sure...
Ditto that. Maybe he was running low on funds.
I did not catch earlier that he did not replace his standing rigging. My bad.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts