SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Law-makers show they are just Not That Smart.

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."

Albert Einstein

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I believe Al was referring to Prohibition. There are a few other prohibitions, related to increased crime, we could get rid of.
I think that was her point. ;)

Reactions: bwalker42

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
For some reason, politicians always seem to think there will never be any unintended consequences to the things they do. This was dramatically driven home to me a few years ago when my local county commission was discussing increasing the gasoline tax.

Their reasoning was, X-million gallons of gasoline get sold each year in this county. Therefore, if we increase the gas tax by 5 cents, we will raise an additional .05*X-million dollars every year.

So, during public commenting I explained to them, "Ummm... No. If you raise the gas tax by 5 cents then at least SOME people will buy their gas elsewhere, or find ways to do with less. In fact, if you raise the gas tax enough, you will actually REDUCE your tax revenues, as people will go elsewhere for their gas. Hence, the math is not nearly that simple and straightforward."

Several others, including one economics professor at the local university made comments almost identical to my own. Didn't matter. They just didn't "get it." Or, at least, most of them didn't. They couldn't get past the idea that it was simple math: increase times number of gallons sold last year, equals increase in revenues for this year.

So, yeah, politicians are very often just not that smart. They seem to almost all have a HUGE blind spot when it comes to the possibility of unintended consequences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts