SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decades on a roller trailer has played Old Harry on the bottom of my shoal draft keel. I need to rebuild the area and I'm wondering if I should use West 404 High Density filler, Marine Tex, or something else? I was thinking 404 since it does still need to survive on the trailer.

The area is originally some kind of solid resin or paste that was ground square up into the centerboard trunk. Good solid fiberglass all around.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
if its not a big area, I'd use Marine-Tex, if you do use it make sure you get it into as close as you can to a final shape, because its tough to sand it

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I recently used Petit EZ-Fair to fill a gash in my lead keel. It was easy to work with, spread nicely with a flexible plastic scraper and didn't run or sag. Didn't feel the need to sand afterward. You can buy it in a standard size chaulk tube that mixes as it dispenses. Used a palate to work it. Seemed pretty strong.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The Pettit stuff is MUCH easier to sand than the West with their high density filler.

But do you want something that abrades easily on the bottom of your keel.

I would use the West system. Just get it on as smooth as you can and rent a power sander for the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts