SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls.
I have been reading the forum for a while and have finally decided to do a post.
I live in the center of South Africa and sail my Holiday 23 on Gariep dam. I also sail a Hobie 16.
I have been sailing since the age of ten and still want to spend every possible moment under a sail on the water.
Hope you all have a great weekend .
Regards
Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
We are hauled out in Richards Bay doing a lot of maintenance on our cruising sailboat. Amazing the number of boat owners who make the long, 8 hour, drive from Johannesburg to work on their boats here. You live in a great place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
I hope you take some time off to see the wildlife parks in the area.
Are you guys heading north or south from Richards Bay ?
I have friends that left there last week for Madagascar on a 60 foot cat.
Good luck with your haul out.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I hope you take some time off to see the wildlife parks in the area.
Are you guys heading north or south from Richards Bay ?

Once in a while we can take a couple days off from boat work. Been getting great, closeup, Rhinoceros pictures in the game parks just north of R. Bay. Visa run tomorrow to Victoria Falls. Once we launch, off to Cape Town then Uruguay. No rush. S. Africa is a great place to linger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Overthehorizon
Why is your visa run all the way to Vic Falls ?
What route are you taking up there ?

Regards

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have been all through Tanzania so don't need to go there. After reading "Into Africa", about the explorations of David Livingstone, it has been fun to retrace some of his foot steps. Victoria Falls was a fun, but short, visa run. Got to see Livingstone Island, where David dropped a line over the cliff to measure the height of the falls. This is the dry season with only half the width of the falls spilling water, which was for the better. Any more spume in the air would have made for even more difficult photography. Got to ride on the Zambizi River, another goal checked off. On the negative, the Victoria Falls area is the most over priced tourist destination we have ever been to. What the operators charge tourists for a place to stay or an amusement is far, far, way, out of proportion to the $10 per day a worker earns in Zambia. We flew from Durban to Joburg to Livingstone. It was a fun trip but S. Africa is a better pricing structure for a tourist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts