SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been boating for years but in a fishing boat with a motor. I sold that boat last year and missed not being able to go out on the water all summer. Now I am looking into my options for a sailboat as I always have had an interest in sailing. I would want to start out with something smaller to learn on and will be able to keep on a trailer when not in use. A little cabin would be nice but I have seen some nice boom tents around. Never actually tried them but they seem comfy enough? I will be doing my research since it's about to be winter here. Well, that's all for now, HAGO!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A bit confused by the posts concerning the O'Day and the West Wight Potter. I see that there are conflicting opinions and wonder if we can discuss it without getting in too heated of a debate. Rather than just saying they are not good boats it would be nice to know why? From my bit of research online so far they have constantly been very popular. WWP is called "Unsinkable" do to the positive floatation and often called an excellent beginner sailboat. One or the other are on almost every list that comes up with top daysailers, dinghy sailers, trailerable sailboats or beginner sailboats, etc.
I actually almost grabbed a Daysailer recently because it seemed like a great deal but someone beat me to it. I also like the open boats like Albacore and Wayfarer. Just not sure how to research if these lists are made up by the manufacturers trying to persuade people new to sailing? (Besides on here of course) I also can add that I am in the great lakes area so probably won't be doing any ocean or costal sailing in my first boat! Thanks for any clarifications! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for clearing things up! :) I guess I wasn't very exact on what I was looking for other than trailerable and beginner friendly. Like I mentioned afterwards, mostly will be for lakes and rivers so not too bad with the waves. I would like to be able to camp with 2 but enough room for 4 people for the day (fishing mostly) would be nice. I prefer the ability to attach a small gas or electric motor mostly for at the dock (hopefully! Wind don't fail me now!) I wouldn't mind messing around for fun on a rental Sunfish or Hobbie sometimes but not something I want to do everytime I go out. In general a little wet is fine just not soaked everytime I go out! 🌂Lol! If there is anything else you can think of to help narrow down the search, let me know. Thanks again for all the help so far!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great recommendations, I just downloaded a copy of "The Dinghy Cruising Companion" on my tablet and I am on page 10 just from reading it during breakfast! Lol! Hard to put down as Roger has a nice descriptive way of writing that draws me in. I also found him on Youtube and subscribed. It's getting late so I better get out there and catch some fish! (From the shore unfortunately :() I will be looking for the other book once I'm done this one. I didn't see it on the same site I grabbed this one from so might have to look around a bit but sure I'll come across it somewhere. Later!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, It is fun looking at all the options out there. :) Read some more of the book yesterday between the minnows I kept catching! Lol! (I did end up with a couple keepers) and really enjoying it.
One thing brought up was that the author preferred completely open dinghies rather than the ones with covered front deck. He said it was easier getting the jib down when bad weather was approaching. Does anyone have advice on how much of an issue this would be for a newer sailor? A couple of the boats I am seriously looking at do have the covered front deck area. I had a covered deck on my old fishing boat and used underneath for storage, but never really had a reason to go out on it during bad weather. HAGO!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks guys! :) Knew there had to be a solution to that one, but being new to the sailing terminology I wouldn't have had any idea what to even try to search for on Google! o_O Lol! This Forum has been more helpful than I ever imagined it would! ;) HAGO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts