SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing the outhaul on the main (~400+ sq ft) of my Bristol 45.5. It currently is ordinary double braid but I wonder if I should be using something with less stretch like Warpspeed -- and no, I do not need to look for ways to spend money on the boat - lots left to do on the overall refit. Ainia has a Hood Stowaway main so is loose-footed - the outhaul is obviously a crucial component in the system.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will be replacing the outhaul on the main (~400+ sq ft) of my Bristol 45.5. It currently is ordinary double braid but I wonder if I should be using something with less stretch like Warpspeed -- and no, I do not need to look for ways to spend money on the boat - lots left to do on the overall refit. Ainia has a Hood Stowaway main so is loose-footed - the outhaul is obviously a crucial component in the system.

Thanks for your thoughts
Save your money on this one. No need for high tech in this application. Halyards, Spinnaker sheets/guys has value even on a cruising boat, but outhaul not necessary.

·
S/V Pearl Bristol 45.5
6 Posts
Check out New England Ropes VPC line a good mid-point on price/performance with outstanding feel.

A sto-away has enough issues with sail shape and a long outhaul, I'd opt for a low stretch line.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you replacing wire? The big issue with outhauls is usually friction. A smaller diameter low tech line can help you here. Depending on how much you need, check the line tails section of vendors like APS or others for lengths of 40' or less.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Halls spars and layline often have every kind of cordage less than half-price online. Just check out their "line tails" and "end of spool sale". I replaced my backstay adjuster with Maffioli - Swiftcord for like $.50 a foot, with shipping. Call them and they'll cut you even cheaper deals.(Halls spars) If you call B.S. I scanned the receipt and you can find it on my blog.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I personally think the line you have is more than adequate - the outhaul really doesn't need that much tension and in scenarios where stretch would equate - you'd want it loose to begin with... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
201 Posts
I personally think the line you have is more than adequate - the outhaul really doesn't need that much tension and in scenarios where stretch would equate - you'd want it loose to begin with... just my 2 cents
In high load conditions (read: windy), you don't want stretch. The purpose of the outhaul is to flatten the sail to depower.

I tend to agree Polyester Double Braid would work sufficiently and meet your cost needs... but, if it were me I would choose a high tech (Dyneema) or a mid tech like VPC. Downsize the line by getting an 8mm (5/16") and strip the cover on the area of the line that is inside of the boom, leaving the 8mm portion for handling / winching.

Sometimes, you can save $$ by choosing a smaller diamer high tech vs a larger polyester.

Annapolis Performance Sailing APSLTD.com: Annapolis Performance Sailing usually has clearance line - you may check them out for a deal.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I went with a 3/16" dynema for when I recently replaced the outhaul line that wore thru at the boom gooseneck area. A lot nicer to work with than the 1/4 XLS extra I had.

I would also add and agree, that this is one place stretchy is probably not wanted either. Cruiser or racer version.

marty

·
1,000 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts
Use this in 10 to 12 mm. No need for dyneema there, if you're cruising.

New England Ropes - Product Details

If you like to do a few races, use this

New England Ropes - Product Details

Alex

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
If you are sailing with a Hood Stowaway Main, there is no way that hi-tech no-stretch line will make any difference in sail shape control for you. Your no-batten loose-footed sail will always be off from optimum, no matter what your point of sail, or how hard the wind blows. Buy the cheapest stuff you can find that will fit the existing sheaves and enjoy your leisurely cruise to wherever. We raced to Bermuda with a Hood Stowaway rig once, trying constantly for days to get the sail to set properly to the wind angle and speed. Over the 365 miles between Newport and St. David's, there were perhaps 40 minutes where we actually got the sail to look like it was performing properly. Ugh. Then, once we got to Hamilton, we had the noise of the wind in the slot while we tried to sleep. Miserable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts