SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a rudder out of wood for a dinghy. The rudder is designed to go into a box like affair so it can kick up.
I'm thinking that a super large washer of HDP maybe 1/16" think and 3' diameter would make it work smoothly and give it a lot of support.

Any idea where to find hdp or nylon sheet material to make it from?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
David—

A thin piece of starboard would probably work quite well. I wouldn't use Nylon, as it doesn't like being immersed in water for long periods of time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Look up a plastic tank manufacturer, the kind whom do custom water tanks for boats and such. They will have tons of cutoffs, and probably only charge a couple of bucks, if that. I made a similar setup once, but I found an old sheet of Teflon about 1/16". It was from one of those sliding exercise mats you could ski on from side to side. I found one at a second hand store.

·
Marine: Educator,Surveyor
83 Posts
Kick up rudder self lube washers....kitchen cutting mats.

I just made a rudder out of wood for a dinghy. The rudder is designed to go into a box like affair so it can kick up.
I'm thinking that a super large washer of HDP maybe 1/16" think and 3' diameter would make it work smoothly and give it a lot of support.

Any idea where to find hdp or nylon sheet material to make it from?
David,

Go to a kitchen supply, hardware or even your grocery store and get one of these very thin cutting mats. Trader Joe's here in Fairfield had them for a while. They are come in sets of three... less than five dollars. I am headed over to TJ in a bit and will see if they are there and get the exact name for you.

These are not the self healing cutting mats used by picture framers and model builders.

I use them on the boat and keep a couple in my travel bag. You can cut them with shears or a utility knife. You application does not require thickness but larger surface area. They are great for many uses.

In googling them I found the following link which is fun! Audio Cookbook » Blog Archive » Wobbling a Plastic Cutting Mat

I have used these mats cut into strips as glides for companion way hatches as well when they are fiberglass on fiberglass....:) I am not sure what the plastic is but nothing sticks to them.

John

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great ideas guys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been buying HDPE and SeaBoard from Tap Plastics.

tapplastics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.