SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt a Yanmar 1GM10. A complete Head job, honed the cylinder and new rings, etc.. At start-up it acted like a runaway engine. Very high RPM and lots of black smoke. The kill switch did not stop it and any adjustment to the fuel actuator just made it run faster. I choked off the air intake and it almost stopped it but not quite. As soon as I loosened the fuel line at the injector it stopped. This tells me it is getting way too much fuel. Am I correct? I did not replace the fuel injection pump as it was working fine before my rebuild. How do I check it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it apart and the injector pump was not properly engaged with governor. Problem solved. As soon as I realized I had a fuel issue and not a runaway issue it was just a process to back track and find the cause. Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I took it apart and the injector pump was not properly engaged with governor. Problem solved. As soon as I realized I had a fuel issue and not a runaway issue it was just a process to back track and find the cause. Thanks for your input.
Ah, life is good, always interesting to learn from others, thanks for the feedback.

Paul T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts