SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I have not heard of them. I would compare their quote to Rolly Tasker and Lee Sails. Both are respected sailmakers in business for decades with thousands of satisfied customers.

Some good information in this thread including 2 quotes from Rolly Tasker and Lee Sails for the same mainsail.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/110338-rolly-tasker-vs-us-based.html

I doubt you will save much over these established companies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee is about twice the price, I have sent for a quote to RT. Lee's quality is medium. I am just replacing Lee headsails after 15000 miles. Fabric failed because of fatigue due to fluttering. Last set was cheap because of no agent (UK) I guess.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Sounds like you might get another 10,000 miles if you adjusted your jibsheet fairleads forward to reduce the fluttering next time. We would be really pleased to get 15k miles out of a headsail. Ours are generally worn out after perhaps four seasons of racing & cruising - about 5k miles. Is Himff the PRC Army-owned outfit that hacked North Sails and stole all their performance data? If so, you might expect to win some silver in your next race. No one around here has heard of them either -(or are you advertising for them in your post?) If they have Army privates doing the sewing, that could explain the pricing and provide an indication of the level of finish you might be able to expect.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
If Lee is twice the price they are definitely a bottom of the barrel sailmaker. That would make the mainsail for my CS27 about $550 with full battens and 2 reefs. Same sail about $1100 from both Lee and Rolly Tasker. Wonder what cloth they are using.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
There are products that are a lower price for reasons such as lower labor costs and removal of the middleman because of direct buying - such as Lee Sails and Rolly Tasker. Then there are prices so low that it is hard to believe there is any quality involved.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
If the Chinese army is involved it might be as simple a matter as the government buying market share with loss leaders - for a while.

The whole thing sounds pretty iffy though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In 1994 I ordered 2 headsails of 430 sqft total from Lee through his agent in Patchogue, Long Island delivered to Maine for US$1628 ($3.8/sqft).

In 2001 I ordered a suit of 5 sails for a gaffer of 712sqft total from Lee direct delivered to the UK for US$1996 (US$2.8/sqft).

Today I have a quote from Lee's agent in Ontario for 330sqft for 3 headsails for the same boat delivered to Canada for CAD$2957 = US$2664 (US$8.1/sqft).

I also have a quote from my local sailmaker for the same sails fo CAD$2134 = US$1923 (US$5.8/sqst).

HLMFF is quoting US$1226 plus shipping ($200?) ($4.4/sqft). That sounds more like a price from Lee, no?

That's why I'd like to know more about this sailmaker. Unfortunately I only found one person ordering from them (cruiserlog.com Anyone using Red rum sails? - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums) and that is a bit thin. Could be an ad but seems genuine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Based on the sail price quotes I have received from Lee Sails (and Rolly Tasker) the quote you have from Lee vs local doesn't make sense. Are you sure the requests for each quote are the same?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Everyone who wants an Iphone is seeking out a product made in China. They're probably using the software they've stolen from Apple to steer their ICBM's. Hopefully there's a glitch in Apple's GPS that will misdirect them when the time comes. Wait... there IS! Steve Jobs saw it coming and had those funky directions put into Iphones ON PURPOSE!

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on the sail price quotes I have received from Lee Sails (and Rolly Tasker) the quote you have from Lee vs local doesn't make sense. Are you sure the requests for each quote are the same?
Got confirmation today per email then phne call from Lee Sails rep about price being correct. Lee's quote is 40% more expensive than my local sailmaker Stevens, all things considered (shipping, taxes, duty). Interesting development!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.