SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be doing this pronto, like this weekend. Let's see, 900 NM beat against a foul current off one of the worst Lee shores in the world? Sounds like fun...:D

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Fall is the preferred time to deliver north while the high is still well established and stable. Spring not so, but bring a camera as you are sure to have a couple of BFS stories out of the trip. Where exactly is the boat leaving from? We will be in Alameda in the morning and heading over to Tiburon around mid day. <O:p

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Details Charlie, details. Don’t leave us in suspense. Do I assume correctly that it is a Catalina(!!!) 42? Don’t you know that it is a lightly built boat fit only for small bays and harbors? Oh well, at least the East Coasters consider this monumental uphill bash a mere coastal trip. Have fun rounding Pt Arena and St. George. Sturgeron works really well for me (and I have only been as far north as Mendocino. Are you guys going to do it in one shot or are you harbor hopping? There are only dog holes between SF and Eureka (on the Oregon border). This Saturday is the Single Handed Farallones race so you might see some people out there as you go north. I haven’t been tracking the offshore weather this week as we will be inside the Bay all weekend (we’re doing the inaugural Friday Beercans at TYC). Good luck and Godspeed!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Yeah George, until they do one. The Pros on SA call it the worst delivery in the world. I'll be logging, taking pics and vids for a report if I go. I won't know until tonight...

Here's the boat: Catalina 42:*Elysium
Charlie,

Can I ask a favor? Could you please pay close attention to your impressions of the characteristics of the C42? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on how she behaves for that trip -- suitability, seakeeping, comfort, sailing ability in different conditions, etc.

I may have mentioned that this boat is on our short list if we ever have the opportunity to upsize. Thanks, and I hope you get aboard and have a great trip. Sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
John,

You want a C42 because WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The last thing we need is TWO mods with C42's! one is bad enough!

You need something more old shoe'ish, like a copy of the Pinta, or santa maria!

marty

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
John,

marty
Har har, Marty.:D :D :D

Actually, we're interested in the C42 for it's 3-cabin layout, and for the fact we might be able to afford a used model since it's been in production so long! :)

We wouldn't be purchasing one anytime soon. It's a "down-the-road" possibility....

P.S. CD has a Catalina 400, a distinctly inferior vessel to the C42.:D :D :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IIRC, BBQ Boy has a Catalina 400, not a 42... :)
John,

marty

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sorry John,

Forgot what BBQ boy has for a boat! If you are going to look at C-boats, look at Jeanneaus, my personal favorite, but what do I know! My Jeanneau out sails the C boats of equal size, I think you would find a SO42 would do the same vs a C42. Interior is different. Both have there own aura about them, you wither like one or the othere it seems!

Marty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts