SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brother-in-law inherited a Hobie 16 in good shape. The jib has a 3 inch tear right at the edge of the metal clew plate. We are headed to OBX in July and were talking about repair approaches.

A yard of Dacron, UV sail thread, needles, and a new clew plate are around 40 bucks. Figure we will cut out a small triangle where current clew plate is, cut new triangle, sew on new triangle, and install clew plate.

I own and sail at Cat 27 but new to the Hobie and sail repair. Any advice or recommendations would be great. If we should just save our $40 and send it to a sail loft in nearby Annapolis that would be good to know too. We are both pretty handy and would like to try the DIY solution if possible

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
I would try it just for the DIY experience...what have you got to loose?

Notice there are multiple layers built up at the clew plate...may need a sailors Palm to push needle thru...

Another low cost option is to buy a used Jib off e-bay for $100 as a back up in case your repair fails or is too difficult to complete

·
Registered
778 Posts
Unless you just want to learn how to do the repair, $40 will just about pay to have it repaired, at least in my neck of the woods.

To repair it and do it right you need I think it's three layers (triangles) in that corner, plus the layer of the sail itself. Make sure you ascertain which way the fabric warp and weft runs and cut the patches to match. Then you separately punch the holes for the clew plate (should burn the holes in to melt the fabric) and then rivet in (preferentially, and that with blind rivets or you can beat the rivets flat). or find the small nut-and-bolts and make sure there's no threads proud which will snag, to install the clew plate.

I'd say just mail it to me but I expect a local loft will repair it for $40-60 which will end up being the same or more expensive from me by the time you pay shipping

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.