• Kayak

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sailing for about 20 years but am thinking about venturing to the apostle islands for the first time and have a ton of questions.
What are the odds of being becalmed? Would a hobie 16 be too small?
Would kayaking be a better option? (Also a strong paddler)
I've tried almost every forum i can find and no one seems to have any actual advise or recommendations. Wee would be doing 3 nights (hopefully) so gear as well would be packed on the tramp.
Just want someone who has some experience to maybe give me some insight on whether or not hauling the sail boat is worth it, of should I just stick with the kayak?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,457 Posts
Lots of people use Hobie 16s for camping trips. Just strap down a waterproof bag or two behind the mast step. Or, if you don't already own the hobie, you could keep your eye open for a model where you can store your gear in the hulls.

A dry suit would be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
4,457 Posts
I should add, I have a 16 ft beach cat I use for camping. I have made a couple of modifications to make her a bit more cruising friendly including having two reefs in the main and a hank on jib with a down haul and single reef point.

My beach cat is pretty consistently faster than my sea kayak, but worst case scenario you can paddle a hobie 16 at a knot or knot and a half if there is no wind at all.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts