SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a daysailer, have very little sailing experience, will be doing lake (and possibly some shallow bay) sailing. My wife will come sometimes, possibly couple others. I'm 60 but healthy, don't want to race but do want to go fast sometimes.
Have talked with a great fellow who is willing to sell his Holder 14 for $1000., also have found a 60's O'Day Day Sailer 17' for $900 but it needs sails (!).
Any thoughts about whether taking the Holder ready-to-sail or the O'Day is better?
Thanks much!
Chuck

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Either of those boats would make a good learning platform and get you sailing.
HOLDER 14 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
DAY SAILER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I'm not sure which model has more cockpit space. The Day Sailor weighs about 575 #s while the Holder weighs about 265 #s.

Hopefully those prices include a trailer?

I think I would tend to choose the one that is in the best shape and ready to sail. In this case that might be the Holder since it comes with sails.

The boat that has been maintained the best may be the boat to choose. If they are about equal in this category the newer model might be preferable.

·
Barquito
3,600 Posts
$900 is way too much for a 17' boat w/o sails. There is a Day Sailer "Buy it now' on e-bay right now, for something like $650 with trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. That's exactly the kind of input I need! Will be checking out a Day Sailer I just found tomorrow & will follow your advice.
C

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Sailed Holder 14 for 12 years now. Good, stable boat (wide beam), fast and easy to launch. Sailed it with my 3 kids many times - plenty of room for all. Not familiar with the other boat. My dinghy #1 rule is: keep it simple and light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts