SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Reaction score
Allow me to vent:

datswite,

I also had a 15gal holding tank, attached to it of all things was a Jabsco macerating electric toilet (BIG flushes). You may imagine the capacity was virtually nil with that little rig. Add to that, the poorly thought out way the system was plumbed.

I had one overflow (quel gachis!), I was hesitant to use the head because of the small capacity, and I could always smell it.

Exactly a week ago Friday, I removed the entire system, and yes even though the tank was empty there was still some stuff in the hoses, so be aware of that. The removal was one of the vilest jobs I've ever had to endure. The formalin (ergo "tank treatment") in the holding tank....
I am amused that these rants against conventional holding tanks systems always start with...
1. the original system was terribly designed (often they do not understand proper design).
2. I used the wrong holding tank treatment (formalin/formaldahyde, which we all agree is an enormous mistake--should have researched that).
3. I went about the repair/removal all wrong (I didn't clean the system out with water flushes first--I've found replacing hoses to be both neat and easy).
... and then they expect other folks to agree. We do agree that mistakes were made.

If we relate a tale of a composting head installation that failed (I believe the percentage is greater than conventional systems) due to some error, we are told, "well that was all their fault."

Just comical.

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Reaction score
pdqaltair,

it's always amazing to me that people like you, who know so very much, only expound your knowledge on Internet fora, rather than being published in peer-reviewed publications, or other publications which pay for such knowledge.
ASTM journals and sailing mags both. Chemical engineer by training and long experience.

Journals and mags don't pay spit, but the writing is fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.