SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Reaction score
Allow me to vent:

datswite,

I also had a 15gal holding tank, attached to it of all things was a Jabsco macerating electric toilet (BIG flushes). You may imagine the capacity was virtually nil with that little rig. Add to that, the poorly thought out way the system was plumbed.

I had one overflow (quel gachis!), I was hesitant to use the head because of the small capacity, and I could always smell it.

Exactly a week ago Friday, I removed the entire system, and yes even though the tank was empty there was still some stuff in the hoses, so be aware of that. The removal was one of the vilest jobs I've ever had to endure. The formalin (ergo "tank treatment") in the holding tank, once I cut the hoses, fumigated the area and made my nose bleed. It was 100F in the engine compartment and on top of everything else I had to wear a cartridge mask. I thought cleaning up after the overflow was pretty bad, but the tank removal was waaay beyond that.

Now I have two heads 'cause I have a catamaran. (Take that wherever you want.)

On the other side we had experimented with a C-Head. I gotta say, these desiccating/composting heads are IMO the greatest thing since sliced bread. The C-head's containers are in another container, which means that even if you spill, the whole merde is kept in the outer container which is easy to clean. Detractors say that the system is archaic, gallon jug for urine, 5-gal bucket for feces, but I say its simplicity is what is good about it.

The C-head has never, ever smelled bad (well, RIGHT after a deposit, ok.). It did get gnats, and a couple handfuls of diatomaceous earth solved that. I use the effluents to water and amend my garden. AFAIC, the desiccating/composting toilet is the best way to go.

If we were in Florida, which is really good about having pumpout facilities literally everywhere, I might rethink. No, even the empty holding tank smelled bad. Likely because it was time to change the hoses.

Yeah, even maintaining within regular intervals means a vile, vile job with a holding tank system. If the equipment in the C-head gets to stinking, the milk jug goes into the recycler and I bleach the 5-gal bucket. Done. No hoses to install, no worries about capacity, no worries about where I pump out...

I am absolutely sold on the composter. Give it a thought since it sounds like you're having to rip out your system anyway. And if not, I've got a Jabsco macerating electric head, a Jabsco pump head, and a 15-gal holding tank with some hoses. We can make a deal.

· Registered
779 Posts
Reaction score
pdqaltair,

it's always amazing to me that people like you, who know so very much, only expound your knowledge on Internet fora, rather than being published in peer-reviewed publications, or other publications which pay for such knowledge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.