SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend made up this Rube Goldberg contraption and it worked pretty good. We the attached the pool noodle (flotation keeps the scrubber against the boat bottom) and scotchbrite material to the PVC cross piece as a single unit using zip ties...or cable ties...or whatever you call them.

We're in fresh water so it's mostly algae growth and slime to deal with.
Even in cold weather months, it was surprising how much crud we got off.

Nothing beats and handjob (oops) but this gizmo is better than going swimming this time of year.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
I got this great scrubber... At the bar. It was happy hour.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Lots of similar contraptions on our docks, most of them have a piece of carpet attached to do the scrubbing.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
How is the Scotchbrite (or carpet), attached to the pool noodle?
It is attached with zip ties and I have been told works fairly well but most examples online have more foam on the backside to place more pressure on the contact point with the hull

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
IIRC it is 1.5" sch 40 that you can put 1" dowel in the pipe, this will stiffen it some if it is on the flexy side. Another option to get the curve per say, is a 1.5" sch 40 electrical pipe sweep. These are about 24" radius in length. A bit stronger than the sp pipe with the 45's If you want stronger yet, use sch 80 for the sweep. Electrical conduit, even the sch 80 is not as stiff as PVC sprinkler pipe tho. so only use the electrical conduit sweep in the system.

Fine string will also work to hold the rug on.

I use a extendable painters pole, an adjustable end and a scrubby from a mop end. ALtho something a bit longer on the end would be better!

marty

·
I don't discuss my member
2,670 Posts
Here's the commercially available, much more expensive way to not do a very good job cleaning your hull:

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Looks good.

Too bad we can't just modify one of those Roomba decives.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts