SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will that motor be a satisfactory fit for a two person crew using it to access shore facilities in Ches Bay/ Maine anchorages? My only reference is our 6hp Evinrude which has more than enough power and has, strangely, become too heavy for us these days.

I have read that the .3 gallon fuel tank should be good for about an hour of cruising which should be fine.....is that what people are seeing?

Thanks for any comments.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Will that motor be a satisfactory fit for a two person crew using it to access shore facilities in Ches Bay/ Maine anchorages? My only reference is our 6hp Evinrude which has more than enough power and has, strangely, become too heavy for us these days.

I have read that the .3 gallon fuel tank should be good for about an hour of cruising which should be fine.....is that what people are seeing?

Thanks for any comments.

Bruce
Depends what you mean by "satisfactory", I suppose, but in my opinion is certainly is... :)

Certainly, you're not going anywhere quickly, but you'll still move along pretty smartly... Only time I've ever felt limited by the speed has been in negotiating a couple of cuts in the Bahamas when the current was really ripping, and you might need to plan for that in certain locations in Maine, but I've never had a problem up there...

I've found my Honda to be pretty trusty, but most folks develop a bit of a love/hate relationship with theirs. Some have difficulty adapting to the centrifugal clutch, but I like it. Be prepared for it often engaging gear momentarily upon initial start-up, however...

Most everyone dislikes the noise of an air-cooled motor, it's not pleasant, for sure. But I always run mine at pretty low revs, it's not too annoying then. I've never really calculated fuel consumption, I always carry a 1 gallon gas can in the boat, but these things just sip gas, especially when run slowly... Over the course of a few winter trips to the Bahamas and back to NJ, I've had ones where I've used little more than 3 gallons of gas over the course of the entire trip... It helps that I often choose to row my tender, but the fuel economy of these things is pretty impressive...

They can be pretty finicky, like any small outboard these days with ethanol, etc... I'm pretty religious about taking all the usual cautions with gas, try to avoid E-10 at all costs, so I've been pretty lucky so far. Biggest disappointment with my Honda has been the minor rusting of a couple of bolts and components on the engine, though I've heard that issue has been remedied on models newer than mine... I simply swapped out a few bolts with stainless of a better quality, no big deal, but still annoying, and a bit of a surprise considering Honda's reputation for quality...

If I were buying again now, however, or when the time comes where I might consider replacing my Honda, I'd have a close look at the Suzuki 2 HP... Roughly same weight, but quieter with a water-cooled motor, a gear shift lever instead of the clutch. I've heard good things about those motors, most everyone seems pretty happy with theirs...

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
I have a 2 hp Nissan (Tohatsu) for my 8' Walker Bay. It does push it, but certainly not with any speed. I also carry gas with me

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've got 3 dingy outboards.... don't ask. See the ethanol threads for commentary on carburetor rebuilds...I'm getting lots of "practice."

The one I'm cruising with now is the 2.5 Suzuki. Same reason, got sick of dealing with a heavy one even with a motor lift as we downsized the mother ship. It's a single handed operation to lift it....that's the good news.

2 complaints:

1. It was running poorly at low speeds.. If you dig around on the internet you can fix this by drilling out an adjustment which is blocked for the low speed jet and messing with the adjustment. After that, assuming you use it enough, don't get water in the ethanol, etc., it runs good.

2. I don't know why for sure, but it has kinda a kickback when you pull start that can be pretty significant. I suspect that to keep the weight down the fly wheel isn't weighty enough to build some angular momentum, so you feel the compression. If you pull with conviction, not too bad an issue, but it's very annoying. I'd tradeoff some carrying weight if that fixed it.

I was thinking when I bought it just like Jon that it was superior to Honda, quieter water cooled, no reverse but at least a neutral gear vs the honda "clutch", but there are tradeoffs.

I don't think it's a power issue for a reasonable sized inflatable if you don't need to get it up on a plane. It's worked for us, but we are typically anchored in a no wake area anyway.

I used to have an old suzuki 2 hp 2 stroke. You couldn't kill that thing until you drop it overboard, which I did. Wish I still had it.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Consider a 2 cycle motor too, they are just as light, and you can go all the way to 3.5hp at the same weight...

I run a 2000ish 3.5 hp on my Capri, as a primary kicker (flat water, no headwind brings me 6 knots of a 3500lb boat)... It also moves a rigid 12 foot bass boat (dolphin 120) at 7+ knots... Weight of the motor is 30lbs.

I'll second that getting decent fuel and keeping the carb clean is top priority for these tiny outboards.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I had a 2 HP Honda, without a clutch, on an 8 foot inflatable, & a 10 foot aluminum jon boat. Neither would plane but the jon boat would make 5.5 MPH with two of us & all of our gear. Heavy chop slowed it down a bit but it would push the waves over the bow.

It weighed 27 lbs. I ran it hard for 25 years and it ran perfectly when I sold it, totally bullet proof. Yes, I did have to clean the carb after forgetting to drain the carb for the winter, my fault.

Paul T

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I have a 2hp Yamaha 2-stroke on my 7'6" Achilles. Works fine with me and my wife onboard (no planning of course) and love the 22 lb weight. I suspect the Honda would push your larger inflatable OK, but only in calm conditions at moderate speeds.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I use a 2.5 Mercury on my 11 foot Boston Whaler and it moves it along smartly. But, it's not going to ever get it up on plane like the 25HP used to do. :D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
There are 2 schools of thought; those that believe you need a big motor to cut across open areas on a plane to save time and stay a little drier, and those that like light-weight motors. They will never agree, they are both right, and that's fine. Obviously, some people row.

I have a 3.5 Merc 2-stroke on a 9.5' inflatable with a sport boat floor (removable, but not rollable and fairly rigid). It will plane with one and go slow with up to 4. I love the light engine and the 4-stroke 6s are massive. I can't see a tender with an engine that would suit a 25' sail boat. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My school of thought is that if someone could make a 25 HP motor that weighed the same as my 2.5 HP, they would have a deal.

But, I'm 56, and have no back problems at all, and don't want to get any at this late date in my life. Heaving my 25HP on and off my dinghy, even with my cool St. Croix crane, was just too back threatening for me (I can mount my 2.5 with one arm). I'd rather go slow, and not be able to get on plane, but be able to keep sailing into my 90s. :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
My uncle is a long time cruiser and had the Honda 2.3 on a 9'6 air floor. He could plane sitting in the front and steer by shifting weight on flat water. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

My experience messing with 3 engines (2/3.3/3.5) on 3 inflatables recently is that there is a sharp divide between plane and no plane. If you're not going to plane anyway (I can't with a 3.5) then anything more than the 2 isn't going to get much anyway.

And specifically that Honda is pretty attractive being air cooled, 4-stroke and light weight. Most of the other 2's on the market are down-tuned 3.5's, and significantly heavier as a result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts