SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i have a honda 7.5 outboard. it runs great and i like it fine, its on an old style macgregor 26...
heres my problem...
twice now in the past few weeks, im pulling into the slip here on lake mead and a giant wind gust comes off the mountain and pushes the boat faster into the dock...
the gusts come up and are strong enouph that the engine in reverse isnt enouph to slow the boat much.
the reason is because you can only give it gas when its in forward gear. theres a lock that makes it only idle in neutral and reverse...
now im not looking to power stop with it or anything, just be able to fight the stupid gusts in the marina and maybe not get slamed into the dock or another boat...
i think i can disable the little lock thing, but i dont know the reason its there...
and i dont know if it will damage the motor to rev it in reverse...

has anyone tried this or run into this issue before?
thanks

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Are you sure it actually has a reverse gear. A lot of smaller outboard do not. IF it does have a reverse gear, chances are good that the lock isn't supposed to affect reverse, and that the locking mechanism needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
928 Posts
There is likly a down lock so that when you power up in reverse the motor does not walk up out of the water.

It should release the throttle when locked and allow full throttle, it should work automaticly but may be frozen or out of adjustment.

Usually little metal hooks that latch over that pin that determins the angle of the motor.

Normally when the motor is in foward these are released so that the motor can raise up when hitting an obstruction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input,
the online owners manual confirmed its supposed to be like that but doesnt say why...
so today i opened her up and cut off the steel nub that blocks the throttle from turning unless its in forward.
its a couple of bolts to slide the shift lever out, and it wasnt that hard...
anyway, you can rev it in all 3 gears now and it still seems to run fine...
now its one more option to not get blown into anything...
yaaa!
thanks again
-benny

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hi Benny, just adding my 2 cents here. My guess is Honda had that lock on there because they didn't design the gear box to handle the full power of the engine in reverse which loads all the gears and bearings in different ways. I know on a lot of outboards that are less then 9.9 hp they like to cut corners so they can make it more affordable. I dont think what you did will hurt the powerhead at all but maybe over time and trial you could damage the lower unit. Chances are though you will be fine if you use some fines and control in your fight against the wind. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.