SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I would like to get your input concerning an issue I'm having with my boat. My Mariner 36 sailboat has a "Hood"- "Sea Furl" furling system. The system uses regular metal mechanical bearings in both the halyard swivel unit, and the drum at the bottom of the extrusion piece that covers the forestay. I've verified the halyard swivel unit bearings have a lot of corrosion, and suspect the bearings in the bottom drum does as well. To remove and replace the bearings I need to remove the forestay at the bow and remove both of the furling system units. I intend to support the furling system extrusion that covers the forestay with the jib halyard while doing this. The only other halyard I have is for the mainsail. Maybe I could use it as an additional safety as a temporary forestay while doing the work? The mast of my boat is keel stepped. I'm nervous about taking the forestay loose to do this work. Will the remaining stays on both starboard, port, and the backstay support the mast properly while I do this work?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts