SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ODay 28 with a Hood Seafurl 810. It is extremely difficult to furl and unfurl the sail, to the point that I'm exhausted after doing do. It literally takes all of my strength. I can't seem to locate the problem. It seems to turn OK when the sail isn't attached, but it's hard to tell, since the drum will drop down to the deck when the sail isn't attached to it.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
There are a number of possible contributing factors.
Are you sure that you aren't having issues with halyard wrap? Or perhaps it had halyard wrap in the past causing damage to the forestay just below the top swage terminal?
It is common that the lowest "luff bearing", which is supposed to ride just above the tack socket has fallen down into the turnbuckle tube.
The centering clamp may be damaged or missing.
The continuous line may be too large for the system or you may be using fairleads that induce an inordinate amount of friction.
And of course the bearings in either the drum or halyard swivel may be worn out and need to be replaced.
These are pretty simple systems to diagnose. I would recommend that you either thoroughly familiarize yourself with their construction or hire a rigger who should in very short order be able to determine the cause of your distress.
Pompanette LLC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I did have a bad case of halyard wrap a few years ago, but got it fixed.
I think the problem is somewhere in the drum, or the luff bearings.
Question: Is it normal for the drum to drop a few inches when the tension is taken off the halyard?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Centering Clamp

Jerry

No it is not normal for the tube to fall down to the deck when the sail is removed. My centering clamp keeps this from happening. This could mean that your centering clamp is not doing the job and when you pull your reefing line to furl the sail the tube is not being held centered and that is where the extra binding is coming from. My centering clamp clamps onto the swag fitting just above the the turnbuckle and holds the tube up when the sail is not installed. Hope this helps.

Good Winds
DaveM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts