SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the camera on my head when I went over the side to clean the hull, prop and chain in prep for leaving Sri Lanka, Wednesday, for Chagos. What a surprise. Propspeed is working out very well, Jotun 90 is disappointing and the anchor chain!! So I made a video out of the day of work. This is video#12 and will be the last for a while as internet will be far distant from where we are going deep into the Indian Ocean.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife Rebecca is a very good Officer in Charge of Documents. Once she gathered up all the necessary scraps of paper, and submitted them, it took 1 day to get the permit back. She did that back in August. Now the quota of permits is filled. Cruising the world is not what it once was. For Chagos, you need wreck removal insurance with all sorts of specified clauses.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I had the camera on my head when I went over the side to clean the hull, prop and chain in prep for leaving Sri Lanka, Wednesday, for Chagos. What a surprise. Propspeed is working out very well, Jotun 90 is disappointing and the anchor chain!! So I made a video out of the day of work. This is video#12 and will be the last for a while as internet will be far distant from where we are going deep into the Indian Ocean.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNYZDusvaE
Very nice, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
22,374 Posts
Another nice vid, with good info.

Safe passage. Enjoy Chagos. Special place. Where to from there? Reunion, Seychelles, Madagascar?

Reactions: overthehorizon

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep...all of those places and then possibly Mozambique. But there are reefs and a couple small islands in the Mozambique channel between Madagascar and Africa which look very interesting and certainly not part of most peoples cruising destinations. Perfect. The few S. African sailors we have talked to say it is a must go to place if the weather is conducive. I think I saw you are from Narragansett Bay. We left from New Port for a 4 year trip and now it has been 11 years. At this rate we may never get back.

·
Administrator
7,204 Posts
The propspeed looks good. Mine fell off after 3 minutes.

I do the chain by letting a bit more out, or bringing it in a bit, so the dirty part is brushing the bottom, or in the air.

Have a fun trip! :) I hear Chagos is terrific. Most untouched reef in the world.

Mark

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MarkofSeaLife....We are motoring along the coast of Sri Lanka and I am hanging onto the internet by a thread. I will try to be quick. With us are two other yachts. One loves his Propspeed the other said his did not work and got his money back. From what I have seen, it comes down to application. Some of these boat yard workers don't read or follow the directions which are very precise and unforgiving. There are very definite time limits between application of the different materials and if not followed, there will not be proper adhesion. As one marine manufacturer told me about his product, he would much rather have Mom/Pop boat owner apply his product because they read the instructions, unlike the boat yard workers.

Barquito....Please go to my You Tube site by searching You Tube for "Patrick Childress" and the just in the last second I was able to get up a last video. Also, I did not mention in the video that if you can't get ahold of the latest Ocean Voyager magazine, put out annually by Ocean Navigator, which has our preparing for the Indian Ocean article, you can go to our blog site at Where is Brick House? ? Wandering the globe?.of course! that is the unedited version which retains some comments about jack lines and harnesses....(there is always something left on the cutting room floor at the magazines) a great debatable subject....except for the yachts that are out here doing it. I look forward to reading your posts when we get back to civilization.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
Speaking as a hull cleaning professional who has seen Prop Speed on many, many propellers, I can tell you that it is an excellent product that works very well. If it fails for anybody, it is due to application issues, not because it is an inferior product.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
GREat video thanks for posting

I’ve used propspeed for a number of years on the brackish Chesapeake and it works as advertised

Application directions as you stated are important as to its effevtiveness

I’m a fan of it

Safe passage to ya

Reactions: overthehorizon

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barquito, I recently put up the first en-route video on You Tube at the link below. In a few days I will put up #2 en-route video. I have a 3 part series "Surviving On The Atoll" about well water on an atoll, coconut crabs and the use of coconuts. Chagos was fun but high water temperatures have decimated the coral and greatly reduced the fish life. No cruiser in Chagos could find a single lobster. I hear the Maldives is ruined because of dead coral. We are now in Rodrigues

1 - 14 of 14 Posts