SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glide2277
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I have just purchased a steel ketch in British Columbia. I found the builder's web page--actually i think it is the builder's son's web page...my boat was built by Jacob Fehr and Sons in 1976---she is about 46' on deck...anyway, neither the email nor the phone numbers work on the web page...apparently though they built at least 160 boats...if anyone knows anything about the performance and characteristics of these vessels i would l like to hear from you...would really like a sailplan...thanks to all
Glide

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Hello All
I have just purchased a steel ketch in British Columbia. I found the builder's web page--actually i think it is the builder's son's web page...my boat was built by Jacob Fehr and Sons in 1976---she is about 46' on deck...anyway, neither the email nor the phone numbers work on the web page...apparently though they built at least 160 boats...if anyone knows anything about the performance and characteristics of these vessels i would l like to hear from you...would really like a sailplan...thanks to all
Glide
I've been on & around a few of the Horizon steel boats but never sailed one. I think their build quality can best be described as "workmanlike". They were built to more of a workboat standard than a yacht standard. They have the rep of being very modest performers as well. I've seen some withstand some serious neglect so their durability wouldn't seem to be in question.

IMHO, the best looking boat they ever built was a 35' clipper bowed cutter - I think it may have been their first design. It had a highly cambered cabintop, deep bulwarks and had generally very good proportions - very piratical. ;) Many of them were gaff rigged, even to deadeyes and lanyards. This was the wrong way to go with an already low performing boat I think. They can use all the help they can get.

I knew one couple who built one from a welded up hull & deck with the intention of going offshore. After they finished it, they sold it very shortly afterwards due to their disappointment with its performance (or lack thereof).

Reactions: Glide2277

·
Glide2277
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much....that is a sober, clear, concise, direct and thoughtful analisys...(cant spell well)
it is also pretty much what i expected from the pics...i think i am going to end up buying her...mostly because of the price and my current situation and i want to be able to get out on the water, have a boat i can rely on, and have some fun. I have sailed most of my life in New England, but i live in LA now, and my boat--my dream boat...stays in the cold water of Cape Cod--she is over sixty now...
so, i guess we will see what happens...I've never really had a boat that could not sail well. My brother has one, and he says it is more relaxing because rather thank constantly thinking about how to make her go faster, he has concluded it is pointless, so now he just sails and enjoys it...
I am not sure i am ready for that, so i suppose i will be tinkering the whole way down the coast...ah well...thank you.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Probably May or June. 2 neighbors left Victoria in May in previous years, one for San Francisco, then on to San Diego, the other for Hawaii. They both encountered good gales along the way but they were manageable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.