SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts anyone ?

Our old aluminium exhaust water lock has reached the end of the road. I'm replacing it with a plastic one and while getting ready to pull out the old one I noticed that the clamps are the Mikalor units which seem to be a class above the standard type.

·
Registered
342 Posts
They're really nice units, and depending on applilcation they are worth the added expense. I'm inclined to say that for an exhaust system I would spend the extra. The difference in price shouldn't be that much in terms of dollars and cents.

I don't know if they make them any other way, but I've buried the all stainless version on a waterline that routinely carries 75 psi. It replaced the 20+ year old Tridon that was there.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I prefer the AWAB/ABA unperforated hose clamps. They have good holding power, are reasonably priced, fairly easy to find and don't damage the hose.

·
Senior in age only!!!
554 Posts
The original clamps give an undistorted round seal were as traditional hose clips tend to leave a flat spot on the seal.
This can be significant were even slight seapage is undesirable. The draw back is that the clamp type must be sized corectly.
Safe sailing

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all that. I'm thinking to use the Mikaylor on the exhaust system but I like the look of those AWAB jobbies for general application. Wonder if I can find them in OZ ? Of to Google land it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts