SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing thru-hull tailpipes (brass with bronze). The hose that leads to thruhull is 1 5/8" (because of a permanent fitting on the other end). There are no bronze tailpipes specifically for that size (or at least I can't find any), so I am using 1 1/2". I can, of course, just tighten the heck out of clamps and leave it that way - but these are cockpit drains, permanently open, and this solution does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Can I use something like duck tape to build up thickness of the tailpipe? Or what would be a good material?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'd change the other end somehow, that end is well above water and won't pose near the liability that a poorly rigged thru hull might

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the other end cannot be changed (without lots of complicated fiberglass work), so while I'd like that in theory - it won't happen. I need solutions that would work and won't cost thousands :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
As high up as you can go; put in a hose to hose adapter and make the size adjustment there.

So you'd have 1.5" hose on the thru-hull and that would go higher than the heeled water line. Somewhere above that you make some sort of barb to barb adaption

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that was one thing I considered, the only problem is - I can't find barb-to-barb adapters from 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 in any decent material (and a few I found are garden hose plastic variety - which sounds like even more trouble).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Up above the heeled water line it won't be nearly so bad to have something rigged. If you can find a garden hose plastic, you could use that and perhaps wrap it with amagmated tape for a little extra protection.

Better than any sort of cobbled rig at the seacock

One other thing to try...I just found I needed a 2" to 1.5" elbow. Midland metal said they don't have it so I thought I was stuck. Called Hamilton Marine Supply in Maine. He found me one. Call Hamilton 800-639 2715

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
their catalog doesn't have it but I'll try calling.

amazingly, they sell cockpit drain fittings that are 1 5/8" thick - (just like mine except mine are permanently glassed in). I wonder who can use those if no other fitting is of the same size.

Conbraco catalog doesn't show any fittings in 1 5/8" either.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You should also look at McMaster-Carr, as they might have something that will work.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
their catalog doesn't have it but I'll try calling.

amazingly, they sell cockpit drain fittings that are 1 5/8" thick - (just like mine except mine are permanently glassed in). I wonder who can use those if no other fitting is of the same size.

Conbraco catalog doesn't show any fittings in 1 5/8" either.
If they have 1 5/8 fittings, they should have other stuff that works with it.

The reducing elbow I bought from them definately was not in their catalog. The guy took my name and number and called me back in a half hour with the solution

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
If you still draw a blank on the fittings, you may well be able to use 1-1/2 hose, the "solid-vinyl-with-plastic-wire-in-it" kind used for some head discharge lines, and warm the end to make it flexible enough to fit the 1-5/8 fitting. I know Shields makes this kind of hose, and it gets amazingly supple when it's heated.

·
Registered
846 Posts
connections even above the water line should be strong enough. It is not a good idea to use plastic adapters even they are above waterline. If it fails the hoses will find a way to get bent and stay below the water line.

For this reason make sure all thru hull connections have two clamps at both ends. Although one end is above water line, if fails will bend belowwater level.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
cel

I agree. But if there is no other solution?

I suggested he use the hose barb. He can, of course double clamp it if possible, and then wrap it with self-amalgimating tape. If something takes that out, he's got bigger problems.
Tie wrapping the hose to other structure to keep it in place is also a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts