SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat has rubber tubing for the fresh water systems. I can go back to rubber or reenforced tubing.What are the production boat folks doing it with? Are the quick connect fittings secure for marine applications?Could the New house type PVC with crimp on fittings be used.Open to all Ideas thanks

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
If you have a pressurized, hot water system you need use hose/tubing suitable for both. CS our boat manufacturer used pvc pipe - when the yard had to replace a section this year they got compatible pipe and fittings from a RV supply store.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You don’t want PVC tubing, you want potable grade “Cross-Linked Polyethylene”, sometimes known as “A-Pex”, or Aqua-PEX.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply
this is what I was looking for. A year or two back I looked at some new boats,and they didn''t have the rubber or reinforced tubing. Will plumbing supply houses stock A-Pex?
If I can find it Sparrow will be getting new lines this month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes plumbing supply houses have PEX.
Wirsbo Brand has 2 versions, you''d want "Aqua-Pex", suitable for potable water.
PEX uses on compression fittings, never solvent cement or glue.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aqua pex

I checked out the aqua-Pex and found that you can make joint connections two ways,a band that is compressed on the fitting,and a quick connect.Although I like the idea of the quick connects I wonder about the marine application. The compression band seems like the best thing for boats.Any thoughts to add would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts