SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an overcharge issue on my boat.

My batteries are all group 31 AGMs arranged in 3 banks

#1 has 4 batteries

#2 has 2 b atteries

#3 is single battery

Bank 1 and 2 I run together as the house bank, #3 is reserved for engine start.

While working today installing the new alternator and regulator I noticed one of the batteries in bank #2 is very warm, not so hot I can touch but much harder than any of the other batteries.

Why? Any ideas?

I am plugged into shore power, Heart Interface Freedom 10 Inverter/Charger. The battery is getting 13.4 volts.

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
If nothing was wrong until recently and nothing was changed recently, it could mean an internal short in the battery. You'd have to check it out with a voltmeter or take it into a battery shop to have it tested. Meanwhile, pull that battery or that bank offline and isolate it, because "warm" can get warmer and catch fire when overcharged.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
If one cell on one battery shorts internally the others in that battery offer less overall voltage to the charger (and other batteries in the bank) That's overcharging and big heat. It'll stop when the battery at fault boils completely dry.if things last that long.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right after posting I disconnected that battery and checked voltage...13.3 13.2 13.1 within a few minutes it had dropped to 11.7.

Drove to town (120 miles) and bought three new AGM Grp 31 batteries. Now all my batteries are fairly new.

After 5 hours driving I'll finish up the new alternator installation tomorrow instead of sailing. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.