SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a hoping to purchase a boat very soon and want the most boat for the money ($20-30k). I am looking at boats 10-20 years old from 30-36'' LOA mostly from manufacturers like Catalina and Hunter. I plan to use it for coastal cruising and overnights (weekends) in the Gulf of Mexico. My sailing experience is very limited on cruisers; primarily on dingees and Hobie Cats.

I have found a nice Hunter 36'' in my price range but am concerned 36'' may be a little too ambitious for my limited experience. I have experience on the water with power boats of 34'' but not sailboats.

What do you think?

Your comments on Hunter, Catalina and other value priced cruisers is also greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I own a 1972 Bristol 35 full keel CCA Racer/Cruiser. First boat I bought in 1994. Some experience, but very limited, in sailing off the coast of Maine. 36'' isn''t too big, but I''m afraid the older Hunters tend to be beaters and NOT something I''d spend a lot of time working offshore. I saw a similar style of hull (chopper gun layup) open up at the bow in stiff seas, although it was power boat (a fairly new Bayliner cuddy). My experience prior to the Bristol was with Hunter 33''s and 34''s. Didn''t like the "dynamo humm" put out by the rudder when you exceed hull speed. Catalinas are probably built better. Drive around Florida, touch all the gelcoat you can stand, bum a ride on full keel, fin keel and modified keel boats. You might like the feel and comfort of the old Pearson Vanguards, Coasters, Bristols, etc. and you only get there a few minutes later.....

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
You will be, especially if old Sully has them all lined up and ready to drink his special punch - think Jonestown. They need as many sacrifices as they can get.
I just love recycled threads! Umm, yum yum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts