Votes: 23 34.3%
  • over 50'

Votes: 5 7.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Along the same lines as the offshore post.....

Assuming you sailed your boat 50 or more miles offshore for a passage of at least 100 miles; what is the size of your boat?

I've had my Bristol 24, 65 miles out, on a 135 mile passage, solo. What a great experience, especially at night!

·
&amp;quot;Nevis Nice&amp;quot;
224 Posts
About 7,000 offshore miles on my Island Packet 380. No ocean crossings, just from the States to Bermuda, and to/from the Caribbean a few times.

Chuck, I know what you're saying about night sailing offshore. You never get to see the stars like that on land!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Cape Dory 25

My little Cape Dory 25 can take an awful lot more heavy weather than
I can.
Question: How many single handlers have self steering for over night
passages, and if you do not have self steering do you drift,
anchor??, or lie ahull?

Dick

·
Bermuda
19 Posts
I've had my Westerly 26 about 260 miles offshore (and back again).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My little Cape Dory 25 can take an awful lot more heavy weather than
I can.
Question: How many single handlers have self steering for over night
passages, and if you do not have self steering do you drift,
anchor??, or lie ahull?

Dick
I installed an inexpensive TP-10 tiller pilot on my Bristol 24. If you balance the sails reasonably well, it works great. I just nap in the cockpit for a few minutes at a time, and get up and check for traffic.

I'm suprised there are so few smaller boats that have made offshore passages. I read about sailors in England that cross the channel and more in little pocket cruisers. Most of the waters around the US are tame compared to the English Channel.

·
Bermuda
19 Posts
I use a TP22 on my Westerly 26 and it works fine, although I've had crew for overnight's.

Your note about going offshore in smaller boats would form an energetic discussion, I'm sure there must be a thread about it already! For fun look for The Jester Challenge on the internet; small boats single-handed, last year they raced from the UK to the Azores, this year it's UK to Newport.

·
Banned
8 Posts
We took one of our Catalina 400 mkII's (40 feet) from Long Island Sound to Tortola via Bermuda. What a great ride!

·
Registered
679 Posts
We took one of our Catalina 400 mkII's (40 feet) from Long Island Sound to Tortola via Bermuda. What a great ride!
Ian, I have a good friend that used you guys for a fractional ownership deal out of Stamford (at least I think it was WindPath and not your competitor). The whole concept seems like such a great idea to me. Anyway, welcome to Sailnet (and sorry for the minor hijack of the post).

·
Registered
652 Posts
We've logged thousands of offshore miles aboard Paloma, our Bristol 29.9,and endured two Force 10 storms (winds gusting over 60 knots and seas 28-30 feet).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts