SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing around on my PSC 31 crealock this past weekend here in the frigid Northeast. While sitting on the coaming I realized that my 30" wheel was a bit of a reach for me. Oh ya,BTW I am 5'2" and I have not actually sailed the boat yet. I would like to hear from anyone who has installed larger wheel and has had regrets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wheel

Hi Steve!

Congratulations on the new boat! I'm just slightly taller than you (5-4"), and I have no problem with the 30" wheel on my 34. The boat is so well balanced that it takes very little effort to steer, and I can sit off to the side to see ahead. I'm not sure of the helm seating on the 31, but I do have a bit of trouble seeing ahead if I try to sit down directly behind the wheel when motoring. I can't see clearly over the cabin, so I stand up or sit off to the side. I was thinking a thick cushion might be a good investment.

Hope to see you around!!!!

John
PSC34 "Dreamer" #36

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Steve,

Reaching the helm from a seated position on the coaming (my preferred spot) is a bit of a reach for me too, but I've never considered a larger diameter wheel. I think it would be too awkward in the cockpit to move around.

But now that Lewmar makes those folding wheels, maybe there's a good option available? I think they come in 32" and 36" sizes. I don't know if the 32" would get you much (only 1" in radius), and I doubt the 36" would fit.

Another option is to attach a long tiller extension at the bottom of the wheel and steer like you have a tiller. It might give you just enough reach to hold course nicely when the helm is balanced.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,
Another option is to attach a long tiller extension at the bottom of the wheel and steer like you have a tiller. It might give you just enough reach to hold course nicely when the helm is balanced.
Hi John,
Your response is always appreciated and always helpful, I think your idea to use a tiller extension is very interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Steve!

Congratulations on the new boat!

Hope to see you around!!!!

John
PSC34 "Dreamer" #36
Hi John,
It's great to hear from you, thanks for the congrats. We are very excited about finally buying a real boat. We have seen Dreamer at Spinnaker,
are you going there this season? We are at HYC on a mooring just in front of the spit and I'm sure we will see you around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Steve,

I couldn't respond privately for some reason. Dreamer spends the Winters and summers now at Hewitt's Cove in Hingham. We moved to Weymouth about 5 years ago, and live on the Back River, so it is very convenient. I agree that the 31 has a nice open layout. I saw one at the Miami Boat show a few years ago, along with a 41. The 41 was REALLY nice…….

Where is your new boat? I bet you are excited!! I have never owned a new boat. It must be nice to set things up just the way you want. Have you picked a name?

One nice thing I recently installed was a wheel pilot. We went to Provincetown one weekend and there was no wind, so it was nice to just set it up and lounge around on the boat. I wish I had bought one years ago. You may want to consider one.

Well, I need to do some work now, but I'll see you around!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts