SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been hanging around for a couple of years and would like to do something positive. I would like to do something to be more closely connected to the sailing community.
But frankly it is more than a little intimidating.
Cam, saildog GUI etc seem to know just about everything. I'll never be even close.
Not going to start a magazine like Bitching Bob.
Not going to sail around the world a few times without a epirb like Larry P.
I do run a web company so have web site talent available to me.

The idea in the next post occurred to me but it may not be of interest to enough people.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/406634-post48.html

Are there any market niches you have thought of that are not well served that maybe someone, like me, could fill. I have some modest resources at my disposal and and looking for ideas.

I'm not particularly looking for money making ideas, I have an adequate business now.
What I am looking for is something you wanted to find or know that that the current resources didn't fill.
Any "How come somebody doesn't" type of thoughts cross your mind?

Reactions: Bene505

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm reposting this from the other thread so I will not be in hijack territory:
I run a website development company and sometimes we have some slack time between jobs.
The Internet has a bunch of websites for crewing, lots for buying and selling, cruising and more.
This thread made me wonder if maybe a website devoted to matching lookie lou's and proud owners would be a service folks would use. I think that sailboat owners are a generous, helpful lot in general and usually go out of their way to introduce new people to our sport.
I know I wouldn't mind showing the Catalina 27 and 30 to a lookie lou from the Midwest.
I'm not thinking of a commercially viable site just something fun to do.
What do you think?
In fact a lookie lou would probably find out more valuable information from an owner of a boat that was not for sale than from someone with a boat for sale.
Lots of interesting pieces of information:
  • What boat we had before?
  • Why this boat.
  • How the shopping process unfolded
  • How much it cost
  • How much we spent afterwords
  • What we like, and don't like
  • What we would do different if we had to do it again
In short an in person sailnet.com conversation.

Advertising may look something like this:

www.SailboatMentor.com
<O:p
Are you proud of your sailboat and love sailing and would like to participate in a “pay it forward” experiment? <O:p
You love your sport and would like to share what you know.
Sign up on our website and meet interesting people who just want to see what a boat like yours really looks like.
It is safe and fun you are in complete control. You can message the prospective visitor either privately or on our public forum and offer an invitation when and if you are ready. This invitation can be a short as a fifteen minute tour or if you really hit it off a longer visit. You choose. Since this is not a buyer or seller arrangement there is no pressure and no expectations. Maybe you will convince a new convert to sailing that your boat is the best. It’s fun and you get to share with like-minded people.
<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Looking to get a sailboat someday or maybe move up or down from your current boat.
Not ready to buy but have a thirst for knowledge. Our generous sailboat mentors are pleased to show you around. Pick a boat and captain and ask for a tour. Our sailboat mentors will show you around. Ask a lot of questions. Why this boat? What does it cost? What would they do differently? Come prepared, this is your chance to learn from a real caption who is not selling you something.
Please treat our captains with respect, be respectful of property and time. They are mentoring you free of charge.

Not sure I like the website name, any better ideas?
Maybe the whole idea is dumb.
Here is the real question?
If I build this site how many of you will sign up a mentors?
It boils down to will it add to the enjoyment of your pastime to share it with, very possibly, clueless newbies or just be a hassle or risk you don't want to take?<!-- / message --><!-- edit note --><!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
A third option is to ask how many people would be willing to show their boat to stranger after the stranger has made a small donation to the XXX fund/charity.

To me, there's a difference between someone who wants free entertainment and someone who is willing to put even a little skin in the game.

A good poll:

1) Would show my boat to strangers
2) Would show my boat to strangers only after they wrote a $20 check to charity
3) Would not show my boat to strangers

(And the charity would be a tax deduction for the visitor.)

Then we could take a poll on the charity.

And we could recognize the sailnetters who raised the most money.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Start and do a podcast about sailing :)

I would, but I don't know nuttin' about sailing.

(I do however have a podcast.... and can show you how)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
David, I don't know any thing about computers. I do know a little about sailing. I will tell you a thing that warms my heart. Find a group that promotes youth sailing. Be a coach or just stand on the dock and root for the kids. Take them out on your "big boat " Just be pro sailing. You will be passing it on to the next generation.

·
2002 Catalina 270
1,584 Posts
....Find a group that promotes youth sailing. Be a coach or just stand on the dock and root for the kids. Take them out on your "big boat." Just be pro sailing. You will be passing it on to the next generation.
Excellent advice. The kids are the future. Sounds cliche but it's true. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Getting young people off their butts and on a boat is never a bad thing... especially if you catch them young enough to turn them into sailing fanatics... :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
along the help the kiddies out theme - donate your web skills to one of the various community boating organizations out there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Getting young people off their butts and on a boat is never a bad thing... especially if you catch them young enough to turn them into sailing fanatics... :)
i am one of those kids who became a sailing fanatic i currently have 3 small sailboats minifish catalina 22 and hobie 16
i know being a kid i would have loved for someone to take me out on there boat it would have really got me started earlier than i did
helping introduce sailing to kids is a great idea but i dont think it should be just any kids maybe kids that either cant afford it or dont have any access mayb even do an application of sorts so you dont just get kids who wer signed up by there parents and just dont care because i know of that happening

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
You guys are an inspiration. I started looking into the local Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts troop in the area. I'm planning to take them for a sail in the spring.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
LOL Mr Wuffles. I certainly won't.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David, I don't know any thing about computers. I do know a little about sailing. I will tell you a thing that warms my heart. Find a group that promotes youth sailing. Be a coach or just stand on the dock and root for the kids. Take them out on your "big boat " Just be pro sailing. You will be passing it on to the next generation.
Sail Connecticut Access Program
These guys are in my back yard. Didn't find them till the end of the season but I've made contact and plan to help them next season.

·
1,000 Posts
David, as you probably know..I am constantly surrounded by kids...

I take them on the boat and let them do what they want...its fun to see them play around...

I encourage kids into sailing..I guess

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

This was a program started buy my first racing mentor Robert Melrose around 1984 when it became hard to crew the boats

It worked out very well for me and i had a lot of fun as i ended up working with a few of the juniors until they went into collage sailing programs

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
sailboat mentors.
as for showing a particular model of boat, there are existing owner groups out there, many quite active. We contacted a local owner of a boat we were interested in. he said sure stop by. we brought a bottle of wine as a thank you. he took us for a short sail. pretty educational.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts