SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a completly inexperienced sailor, i was wondering if anyone would enlighten me...

If you and your partner are sailing across an ocean, do you have to take turns sailing 24/7? I figured an anchor wasnt an option because of the depth, so do you just go to bed and drift on through the night? A worrying prospect!

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
As a completly inexperienced sailor, i was wondering if anyone would enlighten me...

If you and your partner are sailing across an ocean, do you have to take turns sailing 24/7? I figured an anchor wasnt an option because of the depth, so do you just go to bed and drift on through the night? A worrying prospect!
Most people pull 4-4.

- CD

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
You take watches - two to four hours at a shift (four seeming to be the most common), 24 hours per day. International regulations require someone to always be on watch.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
If you solo, you likely set a radar alarm and/or a egg-timer for 15mins. You cannot always keep watch so you take a chance.

- CD

·
Registered
17 Posts
sleep on ocean crossing

:confused: I bet the solo sailors take more than 15 minute naps. I Read that someone was sending a sail boat across the Atlantic via remote controll.

·
10,851 Posts
only Cams and wimps sleep at night in a crossing....real man (like me) don't sleep...

back in 1923 when I was crossing the atlantic East to west from new York to Frankfurt, via the Indic Ocean, on my wood ornamented rich, 5 foot thick Valliant hull built in 1845, with a over full keel and skeg hanging rudder, proudly spiking the sky with my 4 mast tripple decker double core plank on carbon fiber sloop ketch, with a hoyt rig on the port spreader, I spent 46 days without sleep.

Off course it help the fact i did not pay the Sears credit card bill and I knew they were going to cut my credit off, and that makes me lose my sleep....

But what kept me going was the thought of watching Oprah once again....once I hit the famous atlantic islands of Madagascar...

Having nothing to eat for 67 days and drinking my own urine, only because I like the taste, and making margaritas with the water from washing my socks, also helped in keeping awake....

Man once I landed..I slept a whole 3 hours...then moved on to my next trip, a cruise to Siberia, via Serbia, and then I got 5 Knockroaches...but that's another story...

·
Not So Senior Member
2,507 Posts
...... and then I got 5 Knockroaches...but that's another story...
Damn! The dreaded Knockroach strikes again! You have the worst luck with that. Maybe if you drank more of your own urine, or maybe some bulldog urine, you'd be alert enough to surf those 100 foot rogue waves all the way. to Siberia. :D :D :D

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
People, not sailing people, always ask us where we stop at night; do we anchor? Two in the cockpit - is my rule. I but not two asleep. On long trips (12-1500 miles) I like to have 6 on board. that gives us each plenty of sleep and we always have a fresh crew for emergencies. For 2 or 3 day trips - my wife and I usually crew by ourselves with three hour rotations.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
only Cams and wimps sleep at night in a crossing....real man (like me) don't sleep...

back in 1923 when I was crossing the atlantic East to west from new York to Frankfurt, via the Indic Ocean, on my wood ornamented rich, 5 foot thick Valliant hull built in 1845, with a over full keel and skeg hanging rudder, proudly spiking the sky with my 4 mast tripple decker double core plank on carbon fiber sloop ketch, with a hoyt rig on the port spreader, I spent 46 days without sleep.

Off course it help the fact i did not pay the Sears credit card bill and I knew they were going to cut my credit off, and that makes me lose my sleep....

But what kept me going was the thought of watching Oprah once again....once I hit the famous atlantic islands of Madagascar...

Having nothing to eat for 67 days and drinking my own urine, only because I like the taste, and making margaritas with the water from washing my socks, also helped in keeping awake....

Man once I landed..I slept a whole 3 hours...then moved on to my next trip, a cruise to Siberia, via Serbia, and then I got 5 Knockroaches...but that's another story...
Giu, is way to modest, he doesn't mention not showering for those 67 days at sea and that fact alone kept him awake and the other ships at bay. What a man, what a sailor.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Unfortunately, Knockroaches tend to breed on Gui's boats.

·
Arf!
609 Posts
I have often wondered ...

A lot depends on where you are. If you are in shipping lanes or close to land it is one thing...out of the lanes many single handers sleep for several hours at a time...check things...then go back to sleep. A radar alarm helps.
Does the radar paint an image of a 3/4 submerged container? I understand that some 10,000 of them (yes!) are lost from container ships each year.
And I bet they drift well away from the shipping lanes.

If you collide with a ship there is at last a chance that someone on the ship notices, but with a container .... it's adios, baby

·
Registered
838 Posts
Does the radar paint an image of a 3/4 submerged container? I understand that some 10,000 of them (yes!) are lost from container ships each year.

If you collide with a ship there is at last a chance that someone on the ship notices, but with a container .... it's adios, baby
Yeah, well. A life without risk is a life not worth living. You can hit a container wide awake or fast asleep. Or maybe aliens will pluck you right out of the sea, who's gonna know?

·
Ex Member
125 Posts

Unless you have a full moon and glass seas, someone on watch won't see it either

1 - 20 of 29 Posts