SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up in the 1970s, one heard a lot about the Bermuda Triangle. Why do I no longer hear about it? Is it because it is harder to just “disappear” these days because of satellite technology?

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,216 Posts
Mobile phones with cameras and video, and Photoshop. Plus in the marine areas, yes, satellite tech, GPS, AIS

Think about this: What happened to all those Ghost sightings? Big Foot? UFOs?

Everyone has a pretty good camera right at hand so if Big Foot was around someone would be clicking him everytime he popped his head up.
An atmospheric illusion that would have been called a UFO can now be assessed pixel by pixel.

With Photoshop, et al, everyone knows how to manipulate a photo. Digital cameras can't do accidental Double Exposures; anyone can tell if the Pixies at the bottom of the garden are humans shot with parallax error etc.

As for the Bermuda Triangle... its a very small area. Most of the Bermuda Triangle stories are not in it at all!!
The famous ones are now fully explained: The flight of air force planes because disorientated in a white out in the same way one Kennedy was killed off Martha Vineyard. We know who how quick disorientation can take effect. But also planes have much letter information from GPS. They know where they are. Air Traffic Control probably has Radar right across that whole area.

Digital technology, satellites, GPS has given us so much that its surprising what its 'taken' away from us. The romantic idea that the house is haunted by some 400 year old ghost rattling chains...

Weather prediction, understanding, radars etc have been instrumental (LOL) for mariners.

We know fully understand how weird the weather can be in the area.
These photos from Marsh Harbour in the Bahamas. The waterspout photo you can see blue sky everywhere. 50 miles away it was a nice day!

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Boat

Cloud Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake

Mark

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
These manias tend to come and go in waves. There have been similar periods where everyone was seeing Jesus, or the saints, everywhere. Ghosts and goblin popularity waxes and wanes. Spotting of the Lock Ness Monster, Big Foots/Sasquatch, mermaids and Krakens seem to rise, then fall. Leprechauns, trolls and other mystical beings become popular with a generation, and then fade. Fascination with the pyramids, Stonehenge, Inca buildings... all gain attention, the drop off.

Seems to be a perpetual pattern. I think these days we're all more interested in little green men and UFOs. This too shall pass.

·
Master Mariner
9,286 Posts
I'll talk about the Bermuda Triangle anytime, any where, except when I'm in it. Never mind about the stories and mystery of the Triangle; all the things that made it legendary are still out there today.
1) The Gulfstream
2) a whole lot of very shallow water from T&C to Grand Bahama Island.
3) some pretty wonky weather, not to mention cyclonic weather.
4) pretty low islands, difficult to see far off
and the list goes on. Very natural, not supernatural.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anything in general coming up on the triangle is either sci fi or rehashed explanations of stories. They found 5 avengers for example all in about a mile radius. Not the missing flight but 5 different accident that happened in the same location over a period of several years, each explained as pilot or mechanical failure. Pockmarks on the ocean thought to be methane when it isnt arent understood. A pilot friend of mine flying over a particular lake has had his engine just cut out, navy sent a 2 man submersible (trucked it in) to investigate and lost the sub.

Mysteries are still out there but the reporting is lost.

·
Registered
SV Raven
138 Posts
Meanwhile…. Reynolds Wrap will remain in business for tinfoil hats.

This was a battlefield illumination training flight, albeit at day, not for effects on the ground, but to teach the procedures for the pilots and aircrew in a working area in the W-122. They deployed ordnance, and it did what it does. Meanwhile, uninformed distant eye-witness accounts offered explanations. The best part is when the media called the base public affairs, the base had no idea. Because the base is not the wing, and even then, that’d be digging down into daily flight ops.

Consider the south west and the amount of training ranges, and what one on the ground perceives as being “in the middle of no where and sees a strange light in the night sky” vs those of us in the air… perspective can be baffling.

I recall droning across the the middle of the Pacific on my way back to Futema when were were stationed on Okinawa, and flying at the mid 20’s where we cruise I could see on the ocean two sailboats (with binos) probably separated by 30nm. They probably thought they were alone, and neither knew we were flying over.

Have flown many times through the triangle area. Been to Bermuda a few times. Cool place. Never by sail, sadly. But never had an anomaly… Maybe some day…

oh, I do think I picked up Bigfoot Space-A between Lajes and Bagram a decade ago, but his paperwork checked out so we didn't ask questions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
because its fake just like the moon landing
It's not fake per se. It is a triangle. And a high number of vessel disappearances do occur inside it. But that's not because it's special or there's something supernatural going on. There's just a larger amount of traffic within the triangle (basically any ship heading to/from the Caribbean or the east coast of Central America has to travel through it). And if you normalize by amount of traffic and compare to other areas with a similar storm season, it's no better or worse than elsewhere (excepting particularly dangerous spots like Cape Horn).

It's like claiming the Ford and Chevy pickups and Honda Civics are the most vulnerable to being stolen. They're not. They're just the most common cars. If you randomly picked 10,000 cars on the street, those would be picked most often simply because there are more of them. (If you normalize by number of cars, the most likely to be stolen are exotics.)

This incorrect use of statistics was exploited by certain authors in the 1960s and 1970s (e.g. Berlitz), who popularized the idea of the Bermuda Triangle for profit.

And Apollo 11, 14, and 15 left retroreflectors on the moon, with photos of the astronauts carrying them and footprints around them. Anyone with a high quality laser (i.e. more coherent than a laser pointer, whose beam expands too quickly to really point at anything as far away as the moon) and detector can point it at these landing spots, and get a return signal confirming that these retroreflectors are in fact on the moon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
At sea it's easy to be confused by some things. On a Coast Guard Cutter one early morning I was awoken by the watch and he said there is a UFO. You need to come to the bridge and take a look. After getting to the bridge and observing the bright light they were seeing, I looked it up in the star charts and it was Venus. Some UFO! BTW this was on the northern edge of the Bermuda triangle. Many strange things can be seen at sea, almost all of them easily explained.
Oh yeah, the Kraken does exist. It's in Seattle!

The first Sasquatch story I heard was when I was 8 or 9 on a camping trip in the Olympic National Park. Scared the crap out of me, which was the desired affect. I'm 77 and spent a lot of my life in the woods and mountains as well as at sea, and I've never seen a Sasquatch or spoken to anyone who has. I will admit my mother once took a photo of what she claimed was a UFO back in the early 60's (Can't remember the year) But analysis of the photo revealed it was a defect in the film. sorry Mom.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts