SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this last summer we were anchored in various places for over 100 days in total.

In that time we dragged once (after we had been anchored there two days and were in weed).

You would think after that amount of anchoring I would feel comfortable leaving the boat whilst we went out exploring.

The trouble is I never do. There is always a worry in the back of my mind especially on a lee shore that the boat may go walkabout.

I just wondered if it is just me who feels like this or do others quiet happily leave their boat at anchor, out of sight and go exploring?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
528 Posts
utterly agree

I am never quite chilled when she is at anchor

I sleep fine because I would wake up - or so I thought until I did not put enough scope out one night on the Roach in Essex and woke up in the morning to an entirely different view

this summer I am going up around the North of Scotland

I asked about the biggest anchor one man can handle and I was told 40lbs

then some-one offered me a 45lb cqr he no longer wanted

this on a 26 foot boat

I hope this will help me to relax - apart from worrying about raising the bloomin thing - no winch

D

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
A few years ago, I bought my first iPad app that would send an email to my iPhone, when I was ashore, if we dragged outside a custom established zone. I then upgraded to another that would both send me a text, which rings on my phone and is more quickly recognized, and allows me to sign onto the internet to see the persistent trail from the iPad aboard. This way, I can see if she is dragging before she gets to the edge of the alarm zone. I can also see if she has swung around and more likely to drag. While it is no substitute for proper anchoring and seamanship, tech is very very cool.

1st app above.. AnchorWatch
2nd app above.. BoatMonitor (however not available in US app store for some unknown reason)

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
As a rule we do not leave the boat at anchor overnight. When we have gone exploring for an extended time the boat has been in a marina (twice in Oz, twice in South Africa), or a supervised mooring (Ecuador).

The only place we left the boat at anchor was in the Galapagos where we went off on a four day tour. The holding was fine, there never was any wind to speak of anywhere in the islands that we saw (right on the Equator), seemed perfectly safe. The day after we got back from the tour the tsunami came from the Japan earthquake and everyone in the harbour had to get out for a few hours. Wonder what would have happened if the tsunami had come while we were away on the tour (there were crews from three boats on the tour). Just goes to show you never know what might happen. You just have to decide on what balance of risk/reward you are willing to accept (hell, if you are sailing across oceans you are prepared to accept considerable risk). The tour was terrific, something we will always remember.

Final thought and no intention to start an anchor threat - if you have great confidence in your ground tackle it makes a big difference.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Having an over-sized anchor and taking the time to make sure it is set makes it easier to sleep but I don't think I'd ever leave the boat overnight on the hook unless there were some sort of emergency and I had no choice. I have left it when within sight but never for very long. A better alternative is to rent a mooring or go to a dock. I can't recall my own anchor slipping but I can remember too many situations when I had to fend off dragging/drifting boats or when some idiot set his own anchor right over mine.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
I trust a bahamia mooring (2 anchors off the bow) where the angle between the 2 anchors is greater than 90 degrees. That way the boat is always between the two anchors and the chain can't wrap around either anchor. This is with each anchor big enough to be used as the sole anchor.

The only down side is that shifting winds will cause the boat to spin over time. Then you have to "unwrap" the lines, since they get twisted. I do this by tieing the side of the dinghy to the transom on when the wind is light, then letting the dinghy power the boat around.

Of course, you need a lot of room to do this, and your boat swings differently on 2 anchors to start with. So it's a method for uncrowded anchorages.

I have a favorite setting-two-anchors method, if anyone wants it.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am glad I am not the only one with concerns.
I have never left the boat at anchor overnight either but I do wonder to myself what difference is there between leaving it overnight or all day? I don't know.
My wife is the voice of reason between us. I can quiet easily find an excuse to stay on the boat at anchor but she tells me that if I am happy with the anchor we should go exploring. If I am not happy then I should stay up all night keeping an eye on it or we should go somewhere else. Besides, what do we pay insurance for.
She says it is pointless going sailing in the first place if we cannot see anything when we get there.
She is right again as usual but it is hard to not keep wondering if the boat will still be in the same place when we get back.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
As far as sleeping is concerned, my little Garmin 376C has a very accurate, very reliable anchor alarm which I set, sometimes to <100'. It will wake me if the boat moves and will even go off purposely on tide shifts so I can make sure the anchor remains set as it turns.

·
Old soul
5,183 Posts
It's funny, b/c I can't think of any time when I've left the boat overnight on anchor. It's not so much that it would worry me (it would!), but I guess b/c my boat is my bed when we're out. I'm happily hitched, so I just haven't had a chance to sleep elsewhere ;).

We have left the boat for many hours, probably more that 24 at times. I'd be lying if it I say it doesn't make me nervous, but I do trust our anchor gear and, more importantly, our technique. I sleep well at night most of the time. I believe I would leave the boat on the hook as long as the weather window was good.

... but I would be nervous.

P.S. I'll have to look into Minnewaska's iThingy suggestions. I've heard of these tools before. My problem is that most of the time we anchor outside of cell coverage (forget wifi).

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Well I have left mine at anchor many times. Always in places where there are fellow cruisers.

Keys in ignition and anchor windlass ready to go.

I have rescued a few draggers in my time and hope that someone would return the favor if mine drags.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have got one of those apps on the I pad but for some reason, I don't know why it sounds an alarm to raise the dead, usually at about 3am. I rushed out to find we are in exactly the same place...

Good suggestions for an I pad anchor alarm welcome.

If the weather is expected to get up during the night I never sleep properly and put the chart plotter anchor watch on but that really needs to be louder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts