SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Right now the corps of engineer give a 11,5' water level for the lake and a max recommended draft of 5,4' for route 1. My boat has a draft of 5,5'. Knowing that the authorities often err on the side of (over)caution, I'm wondering how much of a margin they keep.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I passed through there last year with 4.5 foot draft. Bumped bottom several times on the designated channel. And keep in mind that the Port Mayaca railroad bridge limits your mast height to max 49 feet on a low water day. I had to take off my VHF antenna and wind instrument as my mast height is 48 feet.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,141 Posts
I passed through there last year with 4.5 foot draft. Bumped bottom several times on the designated channel. And keep in mind that the Port Mayaca railroad bridge limits your mast height to max 49 feet on a low water day. I had to take off my VHF antenna and wind instrument as my mast height is 48 feet.
what was the reported water level on the DAY that you went through?

My boat draws 5.7 feet. My air draft is 47 feet 2 inches (all my antennas are mounted on the pushpit). As I see it, for ME to transit Lake Okechobee in MY BOAT the water level MUST be between 11.77 Feet and 16.52 Feet Per USACE Jacksonville District

1 - 4 of 4 Posts