SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new forum!

Now if only I could get around to changing the oil in the beast called universal 5416, it's really not that hard to do either.. takes about ten minutes with the little hand pump. It came with a drain hose already connected to the oil pan. hate that,

Question: Do all Diesels have black oil in the crankcase? In mine it turns black within a few hours after being changed. Hate that too,

Funny, that sound it makes like a jackhammer has become a sweet sound to me.. that clunker keeps on a chugging... always starts, never ever quits, runs 6-12 hrs if I want to head down river to the C&D. Love that!

So.. I guess you could say I love Diesels!

thanks Mods and Admin! You really do listen to us! :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Diesels are great!! Tough as nails and hard to kill.

You're welcome for the forum. It was a good suggestion on your part.

Brian

·
Registered
281 Posts
love the D-man

how many people keep a pic of their beautiful engine in their wallet?

Picture of my guy:

Well, I doubt that attachment worked so you'll have to take my word for it, My engine is the most handsome (engines are male , at least mine is:D ), He is big and strong (but doesn't have to prove himself), he is clean, easy going but also can be serious when I need him to be. He is Volvo green but that only adds to his mystique. :cool:
Erika

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I got a Perk 4-108 and it's a work horse............love it

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great to know CP! I have a "normal" diesel!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love my Yanmar 2GM20F. Was a love/hate relationship 2 years back. Love when it ran, hate it when it got problem. Now its love all the way (touch wood).

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Yanmar 2QM15. Easy to work on, getting on in yrs so uses a bit of oil. Wish I could make it run smoother but reliable old donk.

Mychael

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my 5416 is 2 cylinder.. and it rocks da boat! there is only 2 speeds that it runs smooth. Slightly fast I guess about 1500 rpm and at full bore. In or out of gear it rocks. Not quite the African queen but she chug a chugs!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I love my Yanmar 30's. They can spin me within my boat's length. Feed my batteries electricity at times. Get me in, and out of tight spots, and sometimes difficult spotstoo! When there's no wind they can at times move me at 8 knots while using only 3/4 of a gallon divided between them. That's not bad for moving a 1000sq. ft. deck space floating home. I can only imagine the difficulties of moving Imagine with no motors......i2f

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Repowered

When I bought my boat 12 years ago it had an old Volvo MD17C that was raw water cooled as, I believe, all the older Volvos are. It was cranky, noisy and leaked oil constantly. After putting up with it for a few years I took her into my boatyard, at the time, to get the leak fixed and came away with a rebuilt engine and a considerably lighter wallet but that's another story. The next summer the engine failed when one of the heads filled the cylinder with water (the joy of raw water cooling). After some fighting with the boat yard I repowered with a new Beta 37. I did the work myself. That was three years ago and since then I've put 800 hours on the engine. It is extremely quiet and smooth and sips 0.5 gallons per hour at my cruising speed of 6.5 knots. The Beta is a marinized Kubota so parts are available lots of places and are not marine prices but farm prices which is considerably less.

I LOVE MY BETA!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dwayne, there's a guy in my YC who is tinkering all the time with his Volvo. it's a "one lunger" in a erricson 27. He seems to have it running great finally.
Kubota.. I've a Universal 5416 also kubota based but about 100lbs heavier! the new beta's are/would be my choice also.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have 4,450 hours on my year 2000 Yanmar 4jh3e. Except for scheduled maintenance my only task has been to replace the oil sensor. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 20 of 25 Posts