SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... purchase a 32foot ocean capable sailboat without working electronics? The panels have been removed, in process of updating.

There was a guy showing one off for an out of state friend, but when I asked if the motor could be started, the guy declined. Despite the owner saying the motor is hand crankable.
What would I need to test the engine? I would think alternator to battery connection and good to go no?

Now I've seen similar boats listed any where for $29k to $69k. Without cosmetics, even on a good day this boat in proper working condition I don't think this one would go for $29k.

Now I understand yanmar 2 cylinders are pretty reliable, but without being able to see and hear the diesel fire up, check the exhaust... would I be crazy to purchase this thing for even half that price?

Same of course goes for the electric system. I mean how far below market value should I make an offer for a boat in this condition.

Much appreciated.
-the obvious newbie, Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. I mean I am looking for a comfortable liveaboard and don't mind doing the electric work myself. Not looking to leave for tierra del fuego tomorrow.

In the scheme of things, how bad could it be right?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,633 Posts
Welcome aboard Eric... question is, are you "ocean capable"? Electronics are obsolete by time you get them on the boat and installed! You don't say where you are looking and if the boat in question can be looked up. It would seem also the owner of the boat doesn't want to sell it, if they are not responding with positive answers

·
Registered
293 Posts
What would you be willing to pay for the boat if it had a newish motor and all the electronics, but otherwise in its current condition? Consider that amount and subtract the cost of installing a new engine and the electronics. That's the max I'd pay for the boat because you are buying a bit of gamble and a project.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done some coastal trips, just outside the SF golden gate in some rough waters on lighter boats. I understand coastal navigation, how to read NOA and how to set up a good crew watch schedule, (need to work up my true life experience sure) and I feel I will be ocean capable (going to Toronto via Panama in a few months as crew = will be first long voyaging). But I also know I would love to have the auto pilot there to lend a hand.

The boat is local. The owner is not.

I guess my thing is, I'm capable of and want to learn any and all systems. In fact I like the idea knowing where every wire is. But at the moment looking at an engine without it being able to start, I wouldn't know how to tell you if it's seized beyond all recognition.

If someone could tell me, oh yeah you need a ten guage wire, hook it up on the alternator output to a battery, then hand crank it. (Obviously I'd make sure the raw water open, theres oil in it, belts are tight. I know where the kill lever is...) What else am I missing here? Its a Yanmar 2 cylinder.

Thanks.

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
Since you don't sound very experienced, find the best surveyor you can or your chances of getting burned are quite high. A fair market value is included in the survey report.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would you be willing to pay for the boat if it had a newish motor and all the electronics, but otherwise in its current condition? Consider that amount and subtract the cost of installing a new engine and the electronics. That's the max I'd pay for the boat because you are buying a bit of gamble and a project.
wow that does sound painfully logical there.
hmmm sometimes I need an outsider to bring it home like that.

Lets see, if I ballpark perkins diesel install at $7k, $5k for electrics would those numbers sound about right to the sailnet community?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Welcome Eric;
a few ?? jump to my mind.

A(NY) yanmar deuce capable of handling a 32foot ocean cruiser?? What? -10-12hp?
A Perkins marine diesel, installed for a mere 7k? Lots a sailors would like to know THAT!guy ;)
5K electronics for a start; then add that again for new electric.

Going by what they are asking; it might be worth a survey; but given the "no start". deal;I'd pass..
Now, if it's some really famous, hh-end, world class cruiser that's just been neglected and ya can pick it up for?cheep?
Mebbe? IF it has provinance that it was owned by a historically famous figure?? :D

The average, run-of-the-mill, ocean "capable" 32'cruiser (of indeterminate age/condition!); with no known working motor, no electric/onics at all and who knows from the rigging!?
Uhhhhh?
There's a ton of real deals out for half tthe$$ you're considering
Might be worth 3k as scrap..WITH a billofsale/.clear title . Perhaps with a ttad more info better judgement could be made to assist you??

HTH,
Paul

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Well you have not given us much but 8 can't see paying more than a 2 grand for a boat without electronics or working motor. Unless it was something very special. Like a Hinckley and even then it would have to be otherwise perfect. I doubt you can put in a new diesel for under ten thousand dollars and likely the same for replacing the electrical system.

When calculating this kind if thing you have to figure in labor as the seller should not profit from your labor.

So you are already at a bigger budget than the boat is worth and you have not touched the rigging or sails or leaking ports or new upholstery.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
I wouldn't even consider it without running the engine. The electrical is not so much of an issue - I've rarely seen a boat where they couldn't use a complete replacement. Electronics, as Denise pointed out, are essentially obsolete the day they are installed.

What's the boat and what's the ask?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I wouldn't even consider it without running the engine. The electrical is not so much of an issue - I've rarely seen a boat where they couldn't use a complete replacement. Electronics, as Denise pointed out, are essentially obsolete the day they are installed.

What's the boat and what's the ask?
Well there is a difference between no electronics and no electrical system! Sounds like the latter as the engine can't be cranked.

·
That Drunk Guy
258 Posts
Electronics, as Denise pointed out, are essentially obsolete the day they are installed.
What does this mean? So all of us have obsolete electronics?

There are plenty of boats that would be worth installing a new motor and new electronics in. BUT...in my opinion you would have to buy the boat for MUCH less than eventual value minus the cost to install these. Otherwise it would be a sh*t ton of work, cost, and headaches, for not much gain.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
What it means is that the electronics an old boat comes with do not contribute much (or anything) to the value of the boat. It's pretty rare to find a used boat with a suite of current electronics on it - just having them all WORKING is unusual in my experience.

I know they're important to the seller who paid big bucks for them but I seldom even consider them when I'm buying.

·
That Drunk Guy
258 Posts
So you mean "existing electronics don't add value to a used boat" not "electronics are obsolete the minute you install them"......which is how I read that.

If I install new electronics on my boat tomorrow, they are NOT obsolete a minute later. Just to be clear.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Can't you bring a battery to the boat to start the engine? Bring a mechanic to evaluate the engine when you do. The Yanmar 2gm is an 18hp engine and should be enough for a 32ft boat, unless it's a particularly heavy 32 footer like a Westsail 32. You don't have to spend a fortune on electronics. A GPS chartplotter is under 1K, fishfinder about 100 bucks and a new VHF another 100 bucks. Of course, you can go nuts and blow many thousands on electronics if that's what you like. I'd add another few hundred for a few solar panels and a controler. You can rewire the boat yourself quite inexpensively. What about the other stuff like rigging, sails, rudder and steering, paint etc.? What boat is it BTW?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
like copa says is this the westsail 32 that needs work in san fran bay for 12k?

jajaja

got my eyes on that puppy jajaja

Reactions: blowinstink

·
Registered
620 Posts
Best answer thus far was "depends". Second best was "you've provided too little info". Hell, you haven't told us either the asking price or what make and model boat it is . . .. Even in the bast case scenarios, projects are never "bargains" more like . . . "deferred payment plans" and of course there are more "worst case scenarios" than "best case scenarios" :D
Luck!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I can offer a best case scenario project boat down in paradise if your interested OP jajaja

however its 36ft and not a "blue water"cruiser like say a westsail

there are 2 westsails for sale in the low teens that I have managed to find here in the states so far persuing craigslist

1 is in san fran the other here on the east coast in savannah or south carolina, cant remember

both are good projects and priced 10-20k under normal price

1 - 20 of 45 Posts