SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
794 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the loss of the French boat 'Tao' three sailboats have sunk in the western north Atlantic in the last month! It is amazing that only 4 lives were lost.

Loss of Yacht ?Tao?

Last Fall, if memory serves me correctly, 5 boats were severely damaged in the Salty Dawg Rally!

All of these boats seem to have been in a gale while in an area where they under the influence of the Gulf Stream or its eddies.

My Dad was a British sailor in WWII and he taught me that the North Atlantic was a very bad place to be in a Gale, even in a destroyer!

Have the new generation of cruisers failed to realize how dangerous this area of the Atlantic can be?

It would be beneficial if this forum developed a 'read only' thread that records all the sailboat losses and rescues in cruising and racing boats.

· Registered
794 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

I am not trying to stifle debate but suggesting that there should be a central, concise source of information about sinkings and rescues. It would not be hard for the owners/moderators to create such a useful database.

You yourself wrote how you 'sail smart' by avoiding dangerous areas and times of the year...A reliable database could be used to illustrate the wisdom of the approach or at least the lack of wisdom in getting into the Gulf Stream in a gale.

Phil

· Registered
794 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Donna,

Yes, if the Forum became a definitive source of such information with links to news and official reports I think it would be of great utility to the sailing/cruising community and might well increase traffic to the site.

Audited analysis of such reports by informed and qualified members would also be very useful for the cruising community...I read K. Adlard Coles' analyses of heavy weather sailing disasters for 2 years before I ever set foot on a sailboat!

Heavy Weather Sailing: K. Adlard Coles, Peter Bruce: 9780070117327: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51GJG603PHL

Phil

· Registered
794 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
How Dangerous?

While reliable statistics are hard to find and verify it appears that since November 2013 at least 10 boats have sunk or been disabled in the Western North Atlantic north of the line between Cape Hatteras and Bermuda...5 in the Salty Dawg (may be less but the thread is so long that getting reliable numbers from it is very hard), the Alpha 42, the boat 350 miles offshore I think reported by Mark and 3 apparently crossing the Atlantic on the northern route during the last 4-5 weeks, Cheki Rafiki, Tao and Blue Pearl.

It is probably impossible to know the number of cruising boat that have crossed through those waters either sailing 'down Island' or crossing the Atlantic but 1000 might be a reasonable estimate if we exclude organized races but include rallies.

10 boats in 1000 is 1% and a very high percentage for a recreational sport. It is very high when you consider that some of the sailors are older couples with limited experience, uninsured boats and serious risk is presumable not part of their retirement plan.

There were 4 deaths and but for the US Coast Guard there would have been many more!

1% is not the risk as that must be assessed over several years but if the Forum developed a good 'read only' section on sailboat sinkings then perhaps the inexperienced sailors might read of the risks and decide to take the ICW and the 'Thorny Path".

Phil

· Registered
794 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HelloSailor,

I am not suggesting a database kept to scientific standard but one that would collate the reports that are posted on this forum, they include almost every USCG rescue of sailboats in the North Western Atlantic since these rescues almost always are reported by the mainstream media.

It would require some organization but could easily be done within the context of the Forum.

I will write privately to Donna and get her opinion.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.