SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Are you suggesting something like this table but for recreational and race boats?

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score

Audited analysis of such reports by informed and qualified members would also be very useful for the cruising community...
Whenever there's a discussion everyone accuses everyone else of being an armchair sailor! I shudder to think of the backlash when certain "informed and qualified members" are chosen over other "informed and qualified members" to provide analysis.

Andrew's at the dentist today. I'll let him know that he's nominated to get this endeavor off the ground.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Donna,

Yes, if the Forum became a definitive source of such information with links to news and official reports I think it would be of great utility to the sailing/cruising community and might well increase traffic to the site.

Sometimes it takes months to a year or so for an official report to be made public. And if it's public, there already is a site containing all the reports. Could we compromise and try to get a closed post that contains links to sites that contain the reports?

Thinking out loud as I read through this thread.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Still thinking.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think this, or any forum, can become the "definitive source" for anything. I and the other mods, I'm sure, welcome any suggestion to keep the forum relevant but in this case pretty much what you are asking is that the moderators become data collectors. I can't see that happening, especially when there are official sites that already collect the data.

(mod hat off)

I think it was a good idea to create the separate forum to hold the accident threads and the value to me is the discussion attached to each thread. The back and forth that forces me to think and approach things logically; to work out what I think I would do if I was in that situation. If I want to see a list of mishaps, the CG already has that. If I want to read analysis, every boating magazine on the stands usually covers the major accidents. What I need as a forum member, and obviously this isn't what you're asking for here, is to be able to ask questions and bounce ideas off of the other forum members. Even the new boaters have something to add, some other approach that may or may not be useful or viable but at least it has me (and hopefully them) thinking and for me, anything that keeps me thinking and planning and readjusting expectations makes the sailing experience continually fun and exciting even when I'm off the boat. Most importantly, potentially safer.

YMMV.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
would it be possible for the original post to be repetitively modified as "official information" became available.
Envision a "forum" with each original post containing the "just the facts ma am" and opinion to follow. That way a surfer could see what's been going on and when and where looking at just the OPs but dummies like me could learn from the discussions.
You mean add a link to the official report once it becomes available? Perhaps put it in the first post?

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Hang on a second.... If the Original Poster just wants news reports on sinkings etc, why doesnt he just look in the Missing, Lost forum at any thread and then Google the boat name? Why have a Moderator google it for him?

Mark
After some PMs, I think he wants a more comprehensive forum. For now, we have the new forum that you suggested and the mods will see if we can use that as the foundation.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
This might upset some , but...I beleive it is the responsibility of every skipper to ensure the safety of his own boat and crew. How dangerous? for me the fact that lives are lost on a somewhat regular basis should be sufficient warning as to the level of danger and prompt me to take appropriate precaution. This is almost my entire reasoning for joining forums like this. To be as well infomed and prepared as possible. education and practice can help minimize the risks, but they will always be there. Knowing when to sail a particular area is part of proper planning. Making certain the boat is prepared and capable of any passage is also part of proper seamanship.
I shouldn't think it would upset anyone. Skipper responsibility isn't being argued. I don't think sailing itself has become more dangerous. I think between social media and news media more people can get a glimpse of the lifestyle from their living rooms and think how hard can it be? Then those same social media and news outlets are there to broadcast the tragic outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.