SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ex-Navy ship driver, ex-shipyard project manager, ex-corporate manager trying to stay out from behind a desk and get out or at least near the water. Just moved to Pensacola FL searching for a new career .... is there a future in boats, marinas, hell anything to get out on the water again? Any suggestions as to what the market is looking for and needs people like me>

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
With your experience and skills, you could probably apply to be a yard manager at a larger boatyard or marina. :) Or work at one of the boat builders in the area.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back to ship repair, yuk>

Sadly you may be right, but getting into the repair business is different than enjoying the lifestyle. Being around people and helping them enjoy life is a far cry from working on their boat in a yard. Kinda like an automechanic and car expo organizer.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
... is there a future in boats, marinas, hell anything to get out on the water again?
How about your very own sailboat?;)

Seriously, you've got good credentials. I would think you'd have lots of options. But it sounds like you're maybe not looking for a new career so much as something productive to do with yourself in retirement or as a "second career"?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Am ex Navy and after the 1st retirement I've worked on all types of boats and ships. You could acquire yourself a USCG license and that will help obtain sea jobs.
I've never worked yachts... but always had a job as captain or mate on many a commerical vessel...
You have the choice in picking your endeavors as to whether it will be work or a life style. Your choice.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies, good to hear from folks out there. This is definately a career change; retirement age but can't retire, like so many others, the only option is "what's my last career going to be> SOS or something I enjoy? Hard work and long hours I don't mind, as long as my back will hold out. I would like to get my license for small/medium size vessels, commercial or not, but I don't mind sailing on large ships, as long as I enjoy it and it gives me the experience I need. I haven't been at sea for years, so I suspect I'll need to crew aboard something even to qualify to go for any license and re-learn alot I've forgotten. I'm smart enough to know I don't know enough about anything right now; I need to talk to some experts and see what I need to do. May have to get another corporate job just to continue to explore my options> man I hope not!!!! What I need now is a job that will support me and help me reach my goal of a full time job at sea. Is that too much to ask? Probably .... mushing on here. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts