SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a boat that wasnt registered or documented since 2009. Could swear I inspected the title before buying, but the previous owner must have pulled it from the file before handing it over. In 2009 boat was Fl registered and uscg documented. I have last documentation certificate and Bill os not notarized hand written. Last registration sticker still on the mast. When I called the FWC they said they had record of the boat, but that it was not FL titled and as a result they could not access records of the title at all. I know that it was built in Washington state , but left there a long time ago and has been in Miami for decades. I can not renew uscg without notarized bill OS and signed over certificate none of which was done and precious owner is not helpful. I can not renew Florida registration without his SsN. What am I supposed to do to get this boat registered and in my name! Seems like every route I try to take tag agencies uscg tax collector etc i hit roadblocks I can't get over

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off if it had a FL registration sticker on it it was titled at some time in Florida. If not what state was the sticker from? It is not going to be easy. You could try the abandoned property route check the fwc website.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off if it had a FL registration sticker on it it was titled at some time in Florida. If not what state was the sticker from? It is not going to be easy. You could try the abandoned property route check the fwc website.
Are you sure? Even if it was a Coast Guard documented vessel? They are supposedly Titleless.i've looked all over every website for the last four months and can't figure it out. That's why im posting here. I heard the Coast Guard are coming to inspect the boats at the Anchorage soon I don't want to lose it

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If it was USCG documented in 2009 there will be a record, but you will need proof such as a notarized bill of sale that you bought the boat from the owner of record and that all leans have been satisfied. After the boat has been USCG documented in your name then apply for state registration.

The seller may not want to provide a notarized bill of sale if they are not the owner of record.

Find out from USCG who the owner of record was in 2009 then follow the bread crumbs from that point in time to when you bought the boat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was USCG documented in 2009 there will be a record, but you will need proof such as a notarized bill of sale that you bought the boat from the owner of record and that all leans have been satisfied. After the boat has been USCG documented in your name then apply for state registration.

The seller may not want to provide a notarized bill of sale if they are not the owner of record.

Find out from USCG who the owner of record was in 2009 then follow the bread crumbs from that point in time to when you bought the boat.
I know for sure it was the previous owners but liens are a possibility. How could I investigate liens? What if he won't agree to notarized ther bill

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
In some states there is no title for boats. New York where I am is one. If the boat is documented, that acts as a title. If the seller won't agree to a notarized bill of sale then something is fishy and you have a problem. Time to get your lawyer involved.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had a similar issue. Seller was uncooperative. Agent lazy...he did have a marina gate key though. Never met such a pair of morons before. I could see from the USCG title report that the title was clear. I had no notarized bill of sale. No notarized USCG document. Called the USCG doc office. They were very helpful and understanding. I don't recall, sitting here, exactly what I did but it was some kind of notarized statement that I guaranteed the transfer was legit. There was to be recourse against me, not the USCG, if it was not. Perhaps it could cause problems if some future owner wanted financing. However the statute of limitations, or whatever, probably clears the title after a while.

Anyway, call the USCG. Tell them your exact problem. Be straight with them. It should all work out.

You can buy a title report/history from the USCG.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Simple problem. You don't actually own the boat, but the seller seems to have your money. That was not a good move. Why is this problem coming up now?

You might be able to legally force the seller to comply with ownership transfer. Did you have a contract? They usually require the seller to affect proper title transfer, which is enforceable.

Did you pay by check or cash? Contract or no? Was this theoretically a good deal?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Simple problem. You don't actually own the boat, but the seller seems to have your money. That was not a good move. Why is this problem coming up now?

You might be able to legally force the seller to comply with ownership transfer. Did you have a contract? They usually require the seller to affect proper title transfer, which is enforceable.

Did you pay by check or cash? Contract or no? Was this theoretically a good deal?
I bought the boat for only a grand with the intent of living aboard and fixing it up. I knew that it was still structurally sound although it looked like **** from neglect. So far it has been a good deal. I've saved 4 months rent living on it and I've learned a lot and done a lot while aboard, including my first race( not on my boat, on a neighbor's). It was a good deal because it came with an almost new outboard with like 5 hours of run time. And the boat is full of bronze and high value part out if it comes to that. I also just wanted to get on the water anyway I could and get my foot in and that much is has accomplished. I planned to live aboard for at least two months but it's been 4 and I see no reason to leave.Anyway...it's coming up on here now because I can't figure it out myself but have been concerned and researching for months. I'd actually like to get some sails and take it out!!!I've heard rumors of coast guard raids as hurricane season opens... I am also thinking of moving up , and I have buyers ready but obviously they need this done before they would buy. No contract written bill of sale we both signed and I've saved answering machine recordings of the seller acknowledging I bought it. Paid 1k cash, the seller said he put 1$ on the bill "for tax reasons"... Anyway technically he was giving me the boat and selling me the outboard to push it .

·
12,151 Posts
So if I read this right you bought the boat 4 months ago and have lived on it that long without intending to registering it or documenting it.

The only reason you are trying to do that now is because your afraid the state/ CG may board you, confiscate your home, not because it is the required thing to do from the jump. So basically you have tried to avoid the charges most of us pay lawfully

Weren't you also involved with that 63 foot McGregor debacle? Is this the same boat?

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
The way this reads, you gave someone $1k in exchange for a boat that you did not confirm they validly owned, nor did you have a contract requiring them to do so. You have a receipt for $1. You also can't prove you gave them the other $999. Maybe they didn't own it, at least free and clear, and that's why the prior owner is not being cooperative, or did you have some kind of falling out? What's so hard about getting a notarized signature. Another guess..... you gave a boat yard the money to take an abandon boat off their property and they never properly had title.

It reads like you are in Florida with the boat. FL will want proof that you paid sales/use tax and will want it registered (which is separate and distinct from title) and no one believes the $1 scam. In fact, it usually sets tax collectors off to think they are dealing with a cheat and they become even more difficult to deal with.

You need to work this out with the person who has your money and pay your fair share of tax and registration fees.

The most expensive propositions I've ever come across in the marine industry are good deals.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
HMS you and the seller attempted to defraud Florida tax authorities, you don't own the boat, there is no proof the previous owner owned the boat.

Get your $1.00 back and walk away.

Parting out and selling the outboard and other parts of of a boat you don't own may get you into another mess.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
484 Posts
Being here in Florida and having bought and sold smaller sailboats without titles - nothing you can do without sellers help, the boats I have bought without titles were cheap - was using them on a lake without the po-po being around so registering them was not really an issue - but if I wanted to take boat to larger lake, river, ocean - would have been a problem - sold both boats to other sailors who were just going to use them on small lakes - and one was outside FL- bought cheap and sold cheap - we all knew what the restrictions were.

Basically what you have is a boat worth nothing unless you can get it titled or documented - its actually worth less than nothing - if the water police ticked you for not being registered. I am sorry but this is what causes many of the problems in Florida with the anchoring restrictions, older boats that keep getting passed down for next to nothing , people using them as floating apartments - they aren't properly licensed/registered - the local homeowners complain and gives all sailors a bad rep. Look for a salvager who will take it off your hands for free ( hopefully)

there is a way to get an abandoned boat title - but it can cost upwards of $1,000 , I have known a few that have done it - on larger boats that were worth something - but very time consuming, I would bet the guy who sold you the boat did not have clear title either, reason why he won't help now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I had no involvement in the macgregor scenario . i was only trying to be the one responsible person by using my knowledge to help. The boat sunk because my advice was not taken . Sure hurts when the one person who wasn't too much a coward to help out in a hairy situation is the one getting blamed . Never was my boat, and wasn't my fault, nor was I even there and the whole marine division of Fort Lauderdale police knows it. Neither myself or the previous owner who sunk it are trying to sell the boat. From what I understand it was repossessed by a salvage company called tuna salvage in Dania Beach 954-270-6937 I spoke with seller today.So why are you trying to throw **** around? I'm surprised to see even more trolls on this forum than the videogaming websites my son visits. As for me defrauding the government, I didn't write the bill of sale nor did I ask or want the guy to write 1 dollar ... He was shady enough as it is, and I didn't want him saying I only paid a dollar for it if push came to shove, so lay of that nonsense too especially since A. I have r even taken the matter to taxes yet , and B. Am trying to get a notarized bill of sale. I even have a witness to say that I actually paid 1000$. Thanks for everyone actually trying to help out and to all the trolls and heaters FU

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The way this reads, you gave someone $1k in exchange for a boat that you did not confirm they validly owned, nor did you have a contract requiring them to do so. You have a receipt for $1. You also can't prove you gave them the other $999. Maybe they didn't own it, at least free and clear, and that's why the prior owner is not being cooperative, or did you have some kind of falling out? What's so hard about getting a notarized signature. Another guess..... you gave a boat yard the money to take an abandon boat off their property and they never properly had title.

It reads like you are in Florida with the boat. FL will want proof that you paid sales/use tax and will want it registered (which is separate and distinct from title) and no one believes the $1 scam. In fact, it usually sets tax collectors off to think they are dealing with a cheat and they become even more difficult to deal with.

You need to work this out with the person who has your money and pay your fair share of tax and registration fees.

The most expensive propositions I've ever come across in the marine industry are good deals.
One dollar was a fair price.The boat was a complete wreck it had sunk up the slip everything was trashed in it I'm replacing the rotted deck house... Has no sales no running diesel etc. he only wanted the money for the outboard does the state of Florida want to ask information on that? My little brother bought an OD 22 for a dollar when he was 16 and fixed it up sailed it and then sold it for much more, I almost bought a 24 footer with no propulsion for $50, it's no scam it's the truth of people who don't know how to get rid of boats or it's not worth their time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Basically what you have is a boat worth nothing...
So, of course, now he will try to sell it for $33,000!
954-270-6937
Why don't you give him a call the salvor who is trying to sell the boat at 33k it makes sense for him as he is a big time recycler,10,000 lbs of lead in that keel just to start with I wouldn't call him a crook. He's just trying to save his chainsaw blades and some time and sweat and allow someone to get the boat they want before he cuts it up and scraps it for likely almost 25k

1 - 20 of 36 Posts