SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Mr. Beach . Iv'e never had to do what you say (dealing with the riggers insurance co.) if that's what you mean. If it were me I would go to my broker and give him all the info and let him deal with the other guy . I know your down I would be to , when you get down here I'll buy you a beer .

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
so what happened and what exactly was damaged? is the mast a total loss?

so sorry this happened bud, unfortunately I dont have experience with filing insurance claims and the sort...

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it looks like the mast was a total loss. Everything will have to be looked at and it's all still a mess. It broke and fell at the deck step. Ripped the boomvang out. Bent my pushpit a little. Cracked some fiberglass. A little. Damage to the boom. Now the boomkicker is more than "cosmetic".

But the mast didn't snap in half. It will have to be inspected. Especially at the shrouds. It can be good for anything to come crashing down.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry!

If you have an own insurance then you should look into its conditions. Probably contact your insurance company to at least report the damages. It was an accident - this is essential wrt insurances.
Your insurance company should advise you on the way forward. It may be so that they will take this issue with the riggers insurances, as suggested earlier.
Takes notes, date these, from what happened and from all contacts. Just some few lines is much better than nothing. Take photos.

A damaged mast is nothing to re-use! Even if it looks only as a slight bend or something, these are indications of damages which very well may be more serious. Nothing one would like to rely on when things get though.

If worst comes to worst, and you have to pay for a mast replacement, then have a look on the second hand market. Good to have all necessary measurements already now.

ATB

/J

·
Registered
223 Posts
What others here have already said. Contact your own insurance company, and let them deal with whatever other parties may be involved. Don't agree to anything or make any deals with the other parties on your own.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I need to file a police report? Boat US says to file a police report if there are any property damages or injury.

I'm now understanding that an adjuster will come out and estimate the damages. If the damages exceed the total value of my boat it will be considered a "loss" and I will be given fair market value with a possible option for first "right of requisition".

I don't know what the damages are going to be yet. I think it will be really high, since every repair in the boat world costs a lot.

Is that about right? If so, how do I prove that the total rebuild of my boat, from new gel coat to paint, sails, rigging, electronics makes my boat valuable?

I'm going to hve to get used to boarding without putting my hand on the sail on the boom. My hand naturally wants to grab the boom.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You need to file a claim with your insurance company. If they require a police report it is only to rule out criminal intent. Do not sign anything, your insurance company will go to bat for you. Your insurance company will give you a choice to follow through with the claim or not.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Sorry to hear this. If you have insurance they have the expertise to deal with the rigger's insurance company. What to you and I are major problems are just daily business for them. I agree about not signing anything at this point.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
The way to deal with this issue is totally different if you have insurance, vs. if you don't have insurance. So before everyone spends a whole lot of time giving advice that might not be relevant, it would help if you would say whether or not you have insurance on your boat. Also mention who your company is, since others with the same company can give you more specific advice.

That's the reason for Tempest's question:

North.. Do you have an Insurance Policy?
Regardless of the answer, you didn't deserve to have this happen to you. This isn't about casting judgement. It's about giving you the correct advice for your situation.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
NOB, so you have BoatUS insurance? I do, too. One reason I went with them was because of reports of claims being painless to the boat owner. They know boats.

Contact them. Let them do the work your premiums pay them to do. Just do what they tell you to do. If you deviate from their instructions you run the risk of the claim being denied.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Well....not a great day. Riggers went up, tied a bad knot, mast comes down.

I've now got this mess to deal with as want to salvage what's left of my boat and my plans.

How many of you had had issues where you had to work with a comapany's insurance and what is the proper procedure?
Jeeze--where the heck did you get your Rigger, "Rigging by Dummies"? First the stays are the wrong length and next he drops the entire rig? You've got to be kidding. (This may be evidence to support the Penny-Wise, Pound-Foolish rule that arises from selecting the lowest bidder verses the most qualified, particularly with a system that your life and/or safety may depend upon.)

In no case let this bozo "repair" the damage. You've already seen his work. Given you're insured, let your insurance company handle the matter and subrogate against the Rigger for recovery. If you have a deductible, file an action in Small Claims court to recover. (Be sure all of the damage is repaired. I suspect the furling foil may have been trashed along with everything else you've described.)

Good luck...

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
It sounds like the insurance will probably claim the boat to be a "constructive loss". They'll low-ball the value of your boat and look at the cost to fix everything. Since a Bristol 26 can probably be had for $5,000 (it doesn't matter that you have more invested in your boat, or that you are sure you could have sold it for more, they'll find one somewhere for about that price and claim that it's "comparable"), and $5K doesn't go very far in a boatyard, they'll make you what they'll call a "fair" offer of about $5-$6K.

The "fun" will start once their adjustor makes his offer to you. Be prepared to be hard-nosed about things, they will certainly be that way. In the end, they will probably give you a few thousand, you'll have the option of buying the boat back from then for a few hundred and fixing it with the difference. Or, just pocket the money and start looking for another boat.

·
Master Mariner
9,075 Posts
If you have insurance, it's their job to handle this. I was once told boat insurance wasn't about repairing the boat, but for hiring the attorneys to get the money. If you don't have your own insurance, then you should hire an attorney asap, as the rigger's insurance company will definitely try to pay as little as possible or lay blame on you. As in any case of insurance, keep your mouth shut and deal only through your attorney.
I wish you the best of luck. We are still waiting for settlement of a claim that came from a 60k gallon fuel oil spill, which damaged our bottom paint, 3 years ago. It all could have been settled for about 18g's at the time, but it's over 80g's now with expenses and costs. It's amazing how poorly the US legal system works for the "little" guy (read victim here) when the ones clearly at fault, don't care how much they spend on lawyers.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
First off this is NOT a police report type of accident UNLESS the mast injured or did worse to a person
I don't know about Washington State, but it certainly would be reportable if two boats collided, or if the boat hit some other object. Any boat accident involving injury, death, OR more than $500 damage necessitates a report to the California DMV.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
It sounds like the insurance will probably claim the boat to be a "constructive loss". They'll low-ball the value of your boat and look at the cost to fix everything. Since a Bristol 26 can probably be had for $5,000 (it doesn't matter that you have more invested in your boat, or that you are sure you could have sold it for more, they'll find one somewhere for about that price and claim that it's "comparable"), and $5K doesn't go very far in a boatyard, they'll make you what they'll call a "fair" offer of about $5-$6K.

The "fun" will start once their adjustor makes his offer to you. Be prepared to be hard-nosed about things, they will certainly be that way. In the end, they will probably give you a few thousand, you'll have the option of buying the boat back from then for a few hundred and fixing it with the difference. Or, just pocket the money and start looking for another boat.

This is what I would expect to happen. They will likely let you take anything off the boat that you want, so take off sails, winches, any electronics, if the motor is good take that too if you can. Anything of value take with you if you can. Then buy a new boat down in California, where you want to be anyway. If you push them you will likely get a good sum for the boat, likely well over what you could sell it for. Since it is the rigging company's insurance company that is going to pay there is little interest in Boat US trying to short you on the value. Though all insurance companies do try to screw you. The other issue is that your insurance will go up on the next boat, because you have had a claim. Use that as leverage with the adjuster. It will not hurt to contact a broker to see if they will give you a listing of boats that have been reported via sold boats. I know someone who might be willing to send you a list if you want to email me. Since these will be boats sold by brokers they will be on the high end (to your advantage).

I recently went through this with my car, my mechanic backed into it with his personal car. Though it was not totaled now my car has a reported accident on it, so it is worth less. I kind of wish it had been totaled, though I don't want a car payment. The body shop worked with me, and got some used parts and I walked away with about $1200 in cash so I was happy.

Keep in mind they will likely total the boat if it is more than about 70% of the value of the boat. I imagine if the mast needs to be replaced you will be there. Insurance companies will use new parts so likely the furler and re rigging may push you past the total limit.

It sucks, but take advantage of the situation and start over down in Cali. Lots of boats down there and the prices seem cheap. Heck you might have enough left over to get a nice surf board!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
blessing in disguise maybe?

san fran is the best place to buy a boat and plenty in the 5k to 10k range, some even fitted out...

wish you the best man...

always sad to see a boat go the way of insurance "loss" and deemed totalled...its just how it is these days...

keep us posted for sure!

peace

1 - 20 of 98 Posts