SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just had our yacht vinyl wrapped and we want to keep the topsides protected when hauling out with a travelift. Our topsides have a degree of tumblehome and as a result the slings press on to the hull above the waterline. As the slings take the weight they stretch and move across the vinyl and we have tears in the wrap which we have repaired but want to avoid this problem happening again. Has anyone tried placing fenders on the waterline bottom paint to pad out the slings so they dont contact the hull above the waterline? If so were inflatable fenders used ( our boat weighs 20 tons and we are concerned that inflatable fenders might burst with the side pressure form the slings)? Any other suggestions to protect the vinyl from the sling movement abrasion?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The times I have seen it done we used 4x4s instead of fenders. Strap width lengths of 4x4 were placed under the straps and held in place until the straps took up the slack.
It's been too long to remember but I assume the wood pieces were wrapped in something to protect the hull.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. I suppose I could wrap the 4x4 in something like EVA foam and have some way of lowering them to the waterline once we enter the travelift dock. At least the 4x4 would not give way as an inflatable fender would if it exploded under the strain. I wonder about point loading on the hull?? Guess it would depend on how much pressure is applied by the slings which I have no idea about.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comment. :)
The vinyl seems to be susceptible to shearing force when the slings move against it under pressure as they are tightened up. They only need to move as little of 1/4inch to possibly cause a tear. I guess if the carpet could absorb this movement it would assist. Maybe a long pile carpet would be best.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
I can't believe it ! When we purchased our boat, there were several strips of carpet aboard, approx 12" x 60", with a hole poked through one end and strings attached. I never figured out what they were for until just now! The PO must have tied them to the lifelines to pad the slings. He was extremely OCD, so he would have wanted to protect the painted topsides. The fibers were constantly coming out, so I tossed them some time ago, but a better carpet could have been used.

Anyway, our marina uses what looks like small yoga pads. I'm not sure they would prevent the shearing that the OP is looking to prevent, as much as they keep buckles and hard stuff from scratching the paint.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to have the boat wrapped once it's out of the water?

Reactions: ottos

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto on Chesapeake marinas using pads. I've had my boat hauled out at three different marinas. While wasn't SOP, when I pointed out that the hull is awl gripped, all three used pads between the hull and slings. One marina even used clean cotton towels in addition to pads. If you haven't already talked to your marina, give it a shot. They might have a way of dealing with painted top sides that would also solve your particular problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the wrap is an alternative to a paint job and also as a means to protect the underlying gel coat. It has been used for some time in the UK and is now becoming more common here in New Zealand. 3M give a 7 year warranty and the expected lifespan is up to over 10 years obviously depending on how you treat it. It is applied on the hardstand without having to go into a shed and our 47 foot boat was done in a day complete with name graphics. Cost about 30% of a paint job so can be done a number of times for the cost of one paint job. Hopefully we will get what the promises state. It can be removed if you want to change. Cheers:)
Have a look at www.wildgroupinternational.com or www.vinylboatwrap.co.nz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ditto on Chesapeake marinas using pads. I've had my boat hauled out at three different marinas. While wasn't SOP, when I pointed out that the hull is awl gripped, all three used pads between the hull and slings. One marina even used clean cotton towels in addition to pads. If you haven't already talked to your marina, give it a shot. They might have a way of dealing with painted top sides that would also solve your particular problem.
Thanks for the comment. I will talk with the marina. Any idea what the pads were made of? Cheers:)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
The boat is wrapped out of the water...it is a coating that is an alternative to painting the hull...see my post down a few for links to sites about this. Cheers
Ah... Now I understand. Sorry for the confusion. (It's winter here and lots of folks have their boats "wrapped" for winter storage.)

N'any case, good luck. Thick pads of tufted carpet liberally sprayed with SailKote or another similar dry lubricant might do the trick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah... Now I understand. Sorry for the confusion. (It's winter here and lots of folks have their boats "wrapped" for winter storage.)

N'any case, good luck. Thick pads of tufted carpet liberally sprayed with SailKote or another similar dry lubricant might do the trick.
Thanks. I am getting lots of good advice to discuss with the yard. Fortunately here we dont have snow or severe winters and can sail all year round so dont have boats wrapped for storage. Cheers:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts